In 1/2mv^2, is m grams & v ft per second?

• Thread starter skizbok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grams Per
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy in joules for impact, specifically the heat energy resulting from bullet impacts. It is mentioned that to get an answer in joules, mass must be measured in kilograms and velocity in meters per second. The equation E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 is provided for calculating the energy of a bullet impact, which can also be converted to heat in British units if desired.
skizbok
I understand that the energy is in joules (?), but unsure of mass and velocity formats. I am trying to calculate the energy of an impact. Specifically, the heat energy (btu) resulting from various bullet impacts. Feel free to ask further questions if you need to know something else to answer my question.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
To get an answer in joules, m must be measured in kilograms, and v in meters per second.

skizbok said:
I understand that the energy is in joules (?), but unsure of mass and velocity formats. I am trying to calculate the energy of an impact. Specifically, the heat energy (btu) resulting from various bullet impacts. Feel free to ask further questions if you need to know something else to answer my question.

Thank you
The energy of a bullet of mass m traveling at speed v is [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]

Assuming that this is all converted to heat on impact, the heat produced is:

[tex]Q = E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

Life is too short to use British units. Put the units in MKS (metres, kg, sec.) and then convert at the end if you want Btu. 1 Btu = 1055 J.

AM

Thank you. PS - I like your thoughts on British units :)

Related to In 1/2mv^2, is m grams & v ft per second?

1. What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv^2, where m represents mass in kilograms and v represents velocity in meters per second.

2. Can the mass in the formula be measured in grams?

Yes, the mass can be measured in grams. However, it is important to note that the standard unit for mass in the formula is kilograms, so it may need to be converted for accurate calculations.

3. Is the velocity in feet per second or meters per second?

The velocity in the formula is typically measured in meters per second, as it is the standard unit for velocity in the International System of Units (SI). However, it can also be measured in feet per second if necessary, as long as the mass is also measured in pounds.

4. How is the formula derived?

The formula for kinetic energy is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. It is also derived from the basic principles of classical mechanics and Newton's laws of motion.

5. Can the formula be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula for kinetic energy can be used for any type of motion as long as the object has mass and is in motion. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the amount of energy an object possesses due to its motion.