Inclined plane force components and the acceleration problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a system with two masses and an inclined plane. The coordinate system must be taken into account, and all forces, including the normal force, must be identified in a free body diagram. By applying Newton's laws in the x and y directions for each mass, three equations with three unknowns (acceleration, tension, and normal force) can be solved to find the acceleration of the system. The final equation for the acceleration is a = g.(m2.sinO-m1)/m1+m2.
goktr001

Homework Statement

There is no variable for it but we know the angel σ, g, the mass of m1 and m2, m2>m1 and the coordinate system must be considered like that. I know the other method which the coordinate system is parallel to the inclined plane's hypotenuse.

Homework Equations

F=m*a
Newton's Second Law: ƩF=m.a

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a diagram of the what I'm talking about. I found the forces and some equations but I cannot find the acceleration of the system from the datas I found. And I'm not sure if the Normal Force(N) must be considered? Thanks for all the helps.
33mr5lt.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This choice of coordinate system is more difficult to work with, because the block on the plane accelerates along both axes. As in any free body diagram, all forces must be identified, including the normal force. Then apply Newton's laws in the x and y directions for each mass. Be sure to correctly identify the components of the normal force.

PhanthomJay said:
This choice of coordinate system is more difficult to work with, because the block on the plane accelerates along both axes. As in any free body diagram, all forces must be identified, including the normal force. Then apply Newton's laws in the x and y directions for each mass. Be sure to correctly identify the components of the normal force.

I know my way is the diffucult way but our college professor wants the solution in this way. OK, I will add the normal force too; but now, must the acceleration be divided for both x and y axes? So how can I solve this question? I find all the components but then I couldn't find out how I can calculate the accelaration. Thanks.

And for applying Newton's laws. Yes, it's so easy to find it for m1, but m2 is really hard one. I even cannot apply Newton's law on the second mass. The problem is that actually.

Last edited:
You have already designated the x and y components of the acceleration as a cos theta and a sin theta. You should now break up the normal force, which acts perpendicular to the incline, into its x and y components. And break up the tension force T into its x and y components . Now use Newton 2 on the first mass in the y direction, Newton 2 on the 2nd mass in the x direction, and Newton 2 on the 2nd mass in the y direction, and you get three equations with 3 unknowns, a, T, and N, solve for all.

PhanthomJay said:
You have already designated the x and y components of the acceleration as a cos theta and a sin theta. You should now break up the normal force, which acts perpendicular to the incline, into its x and y components. And break up the tension force T into its x and y components . Now use Newton 2 on the first mass in the y direction, Newton 2 on the 2nd mass in the x direction, and Newton 2 on the 2nd mass in the y direction, and you get three equations with 3 unknowns, a, T, and N, solve for all.

Then, are all these true now? I'm really sorry for my poor English, and thanks for all your help.
  • (1) Using of Newton 2 on the first mass in the y direction = T-m1.g=m1.a
  • (2) Using of Newton 2 on the second mass in the y direction = m2.g-T.sinσ-N.cosσ=m2.a.sinσ
  • (3) Using of Newton 2 on the second mass in the x direction = N.sinσ-T.cosσ=m2.a.cosσ

For the acceleration, in which order I have to use these equations, if you may answer. I couldn't solve for N, T and a because of these sin and cos'. Anyway thanks for your help again :)

Last edited:
I've just found the acceleration! Thanks for all the helps :) I found it by eliminating the normal force from the equations by dividing two equations to each other.

a = g.(m2.sinO-m1)/m1+m2

Last edited:

Related to Inclined plane force components and the acceleration problem

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is at an angle to the ground. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object up or down compared to lifting it vertically.

2. How does an inclined plane affect force components?

When an object is placed on an inclined plane, the force of gravity acting on the object is divided into two components: the normal force, which is perpendicular to the surface of the plane, and the parallel force, which acts parallel to the surface of the plane. This allows for a smaller force to be applied to move the object up the plane.

3. What is the acceleration problem on an inclined plane?

The acceleration problem on an inclined plane refers to the difficulty in determining the acceleration of an object on the plane due to the presence of the two force components. It requires the use of trigonometry and Newton's second law of motion to solve.

4. How do you calculate the force components on an inclined plane?

The force components on an inclined plane can be calculated using trigonometry. The normal force can be found by taking the cosine of the angle of inclination and multiplying it by the weight of the object. The parallel force can be found by taking the sine of the angle of inclination and multiplying it by the weight of the object.

5. How does the angle of inclination affect the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination has a direct impact on the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane. The steeper the angle, the greater the acceleration will be due to the increased parallel force acting on the object. As the angle decreases, the acceleration will also decrease because the parallel force decreases.