Inertia tensor of a crosshanger

In this exercise, we are asked to compute the inertia tensor of a cross-hanger made of three thin and linear wires that are glued perpendicularly at their central parts, with mass M and length L, and placed at the origin (0,0,0). The formula for the inertia tensor involves integrating the density function with respect to volume. For a homogeneous body, the formula can be written as I_{ij}=\int\rho(\delta_{ij}\sum_{k}x_{k}^{2}-x_{i}x_{j})dV. This means that to find each component of the inertia tensor, we need to integrate a different combination of the coordinates x, y, and z. However, since the shape
ppedro
I've done many exercises about inertia tensors of 3D bodies and sticks but now I have this exercise and I got stuck without any idea of how to do the integration to compute the inertia tensor. The statement is this:

"Compute the inertia tensor of a cross-hanger consisting of 3 thin and linear wires, with mass M and length L, glued perpendicularly by their central parts which is placed at (x,y,z)=(0,0,0)."​

As you know, the inertia tensor (or matrix) for an homogeneous body is constructed from

[itex]I_{ij}=\int\rho(\delta_{ij}\sum_{k}x_{k}^{2}-x_{i}x_{j})dV[/itex]

So that, for example,

[itex]I_{11}=\int\rho(x_{2}^{2}+x_{3}^{2})dV[/itex]

If it was a cube for example we could integrate the expression effortlessly with the integral limits in the 3 variables going from [itex]-L/2[/itex] to [itex]L/2[/itex]. But with this shape I'm not sure how to do it. Can you help me with the integration? Should I fix one variable at 0 and integrate the others?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The inertia tensor of a body that consists of multiple parts is the sum of the inertia tensors of the parts.

Related to Inertia tensor of a crosshanger

What is the inertia tensor of a crosshanger?

The inertia tensor of a crosshanger is a mathematical representation of the crosshanger's mass distribution and its resistance to rotational movement. It contains information about the crosshanger's shape, mass, and orientation.

How is the inertia tensor of a crosshanger calculated?

The inertia tensor of a crosshanger can be calculated by integrating the mass elements of the crosshanger using the parallel axis theorem. This involves breaking down the crosshanger into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating the moment of inertia for each shape. These values are then combined using the parallel axis theorem to get the inertia tensor.

Why is the inertia tensor of a crosshanger important?

The inertia tensor of a crosshanger is important because it helps determine the crosshanger's response to rotational forces. It is a crucial factor in understanding the stability and control of the crosshanger and is often used in engineering and physics calculations.

How does the shape of a crosshanger affect its inertia tensor?

The shape of a crosshanger greatly affects its inertia tensor. The distribution of mass and the location of its center of mass play a significant role in determining the inertia tensor. Generally, the more spread out the mass is, the larger the inertia tensor will be.

Can the inertia tensor of a crosshanger change?

Yes, the inertia tensor of a crosshanger can change if its shape, mass distribution, or orientation changes. It can also be altered by adding or removing mass from the crosshanger. However, for most practical purposes, the inertia tensor can be considered constant.