Infinite Plane with Point Charge Above - Method of Images - Uniqueness Dogma

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential when a point charge is removed from a distance "d" above an infinite conducting plane held at V = 0. The conversation also considers the use of Coulomb's law and the uniqueness theorems in determining the potential, and ultimately concludes that the potential should be zero when the charge is removed to infinity.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

You have point charge a distance "d" above infinite conducting plane held at V = 0. What is the potential when you remove charge to infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I incorrectly used Coulomb's law between the charge (+q, distance "+d" away from infinite-plane) and image charge (-q, distance "-d" away from infinite plane), and got:

[tex]\Delta W = - \frac{{{Q^2}}}{{16\pi {\varepsilon _0}}}\int_d^\infty {\frac{1}{{{z^2}}}dz} = - \frac{{{Q^2}}}{{16\pi {\varepsilon _0}}}\left( {\frac{{ - 1}}{\infty } - \frac{{ - 1}}{d}} \right) = \frac{{ - {Q^2}}}{{16\pi {\varepsilon _0}d}}[/tex]

But: I am told that this is wrong by the discussion on p. 124 of Griffiths: with two point charges and no conductor, I am told:

[tex]\Delta W = \frac{{ - {Q^2}}}{{8\pi {\varepsilon _0}d}}[/tex]

...while with single charge and conducting plane, the energy is half of this: which is what I calculated above.

I read Griffiths discussion about physical justification for factor of (1/2). But how does that not thwart the First and Second uniqueness theorems that we love so much? They guarantee the uniqueness of the field, so why do I need to consult another field to get the work to remove charge to infinity from "d"?

I mean, I know I got "the right answer" by looking at Griffiths, but the availability of the other "wrong answer" that looks like the "right answer" if we were to naively apply it without knowing about the uniqueness theorem worries me. Can you see the disagreeing vertices of the triangle of things I'm thinking about? Can you help me resolve this?

This may be an ill-posed question, but offer what thoughts and critiques may come to mind anyway in spite of the lack of specificness of my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, wait...I think I know why. Is it because the electric field inside a conductor (where the image-charge "is") is zero, thus preserving the uniqueness of the and potential on the real-charge side of the plane? Hence, the factor of 1/2, which does not thwart uniqueness?

Let me see if I get this correctly. The final picture has a grounded plane and no charges anywhere near it. Is that correct? If so, how can the potential be anything other than zero?

kuruman said:
Let me see if I get this correctly. The final picture has a grounded plane and no charges anywhere near it. Is that correct? If so, how can the potential be anything other than zero?

Hi again, Kuruman! Anyway, I have metal/conducting plate held at V = 0, so strictly equipotential. I have charge nearby: namely, a distance "d" above the plane. There's a unique field, E, and unique potential, V, in the space above this plane where the charge is, which I calculated and it matches Griffiths results.

Fine. However the question you posted is
What is the potential when you remove charge to infinity?
The charge is now longer at distance "d" above the plane, it is at infinity. There are no charges anywhere in finite space and the plane is grounded, so what should the potential be in this case?

Related to Infinite Plane with Point Charge Above - Method of Images - Uniqueness Dogma

1. What is the "Method of Images" in relation to an infinite plane with a point charge above?

The "Method of Images" is a mathematical technique used to solve electrostatic problems involving a point charge near a conducting plane. It involves creating an imaginary point charge at a specific location on the opposite side of the plane, known as the "image charge", to simulate the presence of the conducting plane. This simplifies the problem and allows for easier calculation of the electric field and potential.

2. How is the "Method of Images" used to find the electric field and potential of an infinite plane with a point charge above?

The "Method of Images" is used by creating an imaginary point charge at a location on the opposite side of the conducting plane that is the same distance from the plane as the real point charge. This image charge simulates the presence of the conducting plane and allows for easier calculation of the electric field and potential. The resulting electric field and potential will be the same as if the conducting plane was actually present.

3. What is the "Uniqueness Dogma" in relation to an infinite plane with a point charge above?

The "Uniqueness Dogma" is a principle in electrostatics that states that the electric field and potential in a given region of space are uniquely determined by the distribution of charges and boundary conditions. This means that for a given set of charges and boundary conditions, there is only one solution for the electric field and potential, and the "Method of Images" is used to find this unique solution.

4. How does the "Method of Images" ensure the uniqueness of the electric field and potential in an infinite plane with a point charge above?

The "Method of Images" ensures the uniqueness of the electric field and potential by satisfying the boundary conditions of the problem. In the case of an infinite plane with a point charge above, the boundary condition is that the electric field and potential must be continuous at the surface of the conducting plane. By creating an image charge at a specific location, the "Method of Images" satisfies this boundary condition and ensures the uniqueness of the solution.

5. Can the "Method of Images" be applied to other electrostatic problems besides an infinite plane with a point charge above?

Yes, the "Method of Images" can be applied to other electrostatic problems that involve boundary conditions and symmetry. Some examples include a point charge near a conducting sphere or a point charge near a grounded conducting plane. However, the "Method of Images" may not always provide a unique solution and other techniques may need to be used in those cases.