Infinite Unions of Open/Closed Sets: Explained

In summary: For metric spaces there are several definitions of open sets, possibly equivalent, which give a feel for the properties of open sets. One common definition is that a set is open if every point is interior, another that every point has an open neighborhood. There are other definitions that are also equivalent in metric spaces.In summary, open sets are defined to be closed under all unions and finite intersections, while closed sets are defined as complements of open sets and are therefore closed under finite unions and all intersections. The properties of open sets include having all points be interior points or having open neighborhoods, while closed sets do not necessarily have these properties.
aaaa202
If you unite infinitely many open sets you still get an open set whilst the same is not necessarily true for a closed set. Can someone try to explain what property of a union of open sets it is, that assures that an infinite union is still open (and what property is the closed sets missing?)

Physics news on Phys.org
While not directly related to your question, wikipedia discusses the clopen set:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopen_set

They mention that a set may be both open and closed mathematically, that the definitions of open and closed are not mutually excluse and provide examples.

Perhaps from this you can answer your question.

In the context of topological spaces, it's a definition (of "topology" and "topological space"), so it doesn't require an explanation. In the context of metric spaces, it's easy to prove, but the details depend on what definition of "open" you're using. One very common definition says that a set is open if and only if all its elements are interior points. I suggest that you use this definition to prove it yourself. You can start the proof like this:

Let ##\{E_i:i\in I\}## be an arbitrary sequence of open sets. Let ##x\in\bigcup_{i\in I}E_i## be arbitrary.

Now you just need to show that x is an interior point of ##\bigcup_{i\in I}E_i##.

For closed sets, you just need a counterexample. Consider e.g. the intervals [0+1/n,2-1/n] where n is a positive integer. What is the union of all of them?

aaaa202 said:
If you unite infinitely many open sets you still get an open set whilst the same is not necessarily true for a closed set. Can someone try to explain what property of a union of open sets it is, that assures that an infinite union is still open (and what property is the closed sets missing?)

To some extent it depends on what you are starting with. In the abstract the open sets are defined to have the properties, closed under all unions and finite intersections. Closed sets are then defined as complements of open sets, and therefore closed under finite unions and all intersections.

The property that guarantees that an infinite union of open sets is still open is called closure under arbitrary union. This means that for any collection of open sets, their union will still be an open set. This property is a fundamental characteristic of topological spaces, which are mathematical structures used to study the properties of sets and their subsets.

On the other hand, closed sets do not necessarily have this property. This means that an infinite union of closed sets may not necessarily be a closed set. This is because the definition of a closed set is that it contains all of its limit points (points that can be approached arbitrarily closely by points in the set). However, when taking an infinite union of closed sets, there may be limit points that are not contained in the union, making it not closed.

In other words, the property that open sets have and closed sets lack is closure under arbitrary union, which ensures that the union of infinitely many open sets will still be an open set. This is a crucial concept in topology and is used to prove many important theorems in mathematics.

Related to Infinite Unions of Open/Closed Sets: Explained

1. What are infinite unions of open/closed sets?

An infinite union of open/closed sets is a mathematical concept in which an infinite number of open or closed sets are combined to create a single set. The resulting set contains all the elements that are present in at least one of the original sets.

2. How are infinite unions of open/closed sets different from finite unions?

The main difference is that finite unions involve a finite number of sets, while infinite unions involve an infinite number of sets. Additionally, infinite unions can include both open and closed sets, whereas finite unions are typically limited to one type of set.

3. What is the purpose of using infinite unions of open/closed sets?

Infinite unions of open/closed sets are often used in mathematical proofs and analysis to show that a particular set contains certain elements. They can also be helpful in understanding the properties of a set and its relationship to other sets.

4. Can an infinite union of open/closed sets be both open and closed?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite union of open/closed sets to be both open and closed. This can occur when the original sets used in the union have overlapping elements, resulting in a set that is both open and closed.

5. Are there any limitations to using infinite unions of open/closed sets?

One limitation is that it can be difficult to visualize or conceptualize an infinite number of sets being combined. Additionally, the resulting set may not have any practical applications and is often used purely for mathematical purposes.