Initial Speed of Hanging Mass (HW Check)

What is the summary?In summary, the final speed of the mass at point A in its circular path can be found by using the conservation of energy equation, which states that the initial kinetic energy plus the initial potential energy equals the final kinetic energy plus the final potential energy. By solving for the final speed algebraically and substituting the given values, the final speed can be determined to be 4 m/s.
Masrat_A

Homework Statement

A mass hangs from a light string of length 45cm attached at its other end to the ceiling. If the mass is given an initial speed of 5m/s, what is its speed when it reaches point A in its circular path (see Figure 1)?

https://imgur.com/a/ERdlD

Homework Equations

##E_i = E_f##
##KE_i + PE_i = KE_f + PE_f##

The Attempt at a Solution

##1/2mv_o^2 + mgd = 1/2v^2 + 0##
##v_o^2 + 2gd = v^2##
##2(10)(14) + 5^2 = v^2##
##17.46 = v##

I feel like there is something I'm missing, but I can't quite catch what it is...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing something very big. If the initial speed is 5 m/s, can the final speed at A be more than three times that? Check your energy conservation equation.

I've thought about it, but I still can't see what went wrong... could you please give a bit more detail?

I've noticed I've made an error in my calculation:

##2(10)(14) + 5^2 = v^2##
##17.46 = v##

But the result is still much higher than initial speed:

##2(10)(45) + 5^2 = v^2##
##30.41 = v##

Should I make it so that final speed would equal initial? Point A having the same velocity as starting point does make sense to me in some capacity.

##2(10)(45) = v^2 + 5^2##
##30 = v + 25##
##5 = v##

Update: Point A would have the same potential energy as starting. Therefore:

##1/2mv_o^2 + mgd = 1/2v^2 + mgd##
##v_o^2 + 2gd = v^2 + 2gd##
##v_o^2 = v^2##
##25 = v^2##
##5 = v##

Last edited by a moderator:
Masrat_A said:
Point A would have the same potential energy as starting.
That would be the case if point A were at the same height as the starting point. Is that true?

Perhaps you should do this piecewise. Fill in the blanks first

1. KEi = _____

2. PEi = _____

3. KEf = _____

4. PEf = _____

and then write the conservation of energy equation. You might see what you are doing wrong more clearly.

kuruman said:
That would be the case if point A were at the same height as the starting point. Is that true?

Perhaps you should do this piecewise. Fill in the blanks first

1. KEi = _____

2. PEi = _____

3. KEf = _____

4. PEf = _____

and then write the conservation of energy equation. You might see what you are doing wrong more clearly.

No, that is not right. I'm thinking the height of starting point would be rather -45cm, and at point A, we have 0.

1. KEi = ##1/2mv_o^2## = 25
2. PEi = ##mgd## = -875
3. KEf = ##1/2v^2## = ?
4. PEf = ##mgd## = 0

More points to consider.

1. The statement of the problem does not give value for the mass. What did you use for it to get your numbers? It turns out you don't need the mass to answer this question, but you cannot assume a number and use it because it might lead you to erroneous results.
2. You are mixing units, cm for the radius and m/s for the speed.
3. What happened to the mass in your expression for KEf?
4. Finally, I strongly recommend that you first solve the problem algebraically to get an expression for the final speed in terms of g, d and v0 and then substitute the numbers. It is a good habit that will serve you well in the future.

I see; here is another attempt.

1. KEi = ##1/2mv_o^2## = 25
2. PEi = ##mgd## = -9
3. KEf = ##1/2mv^2## = ?
4. PEf = ##mgd## = 0

##1/2mv_o^2## + ##mgd## = ##1/2mv^2## + 0

The masses cancel each other, thus...

##v_o^2## + ##2gd## = ##v^2##

Converting cm to m, we have:

##5^2## + ##2(10)(-0.45)## = ##v^2##
##16## = ##v^2##
##v = 4##

That looks correct.

Related to Initial Speed of Hanging Mass (HW Check)

1. What is the initial speed of a hanging mass?

The initial speed of a hanging mass is the speed at which the mass moves immediately after being released from a stationary position. This speed is affected by factors such as the height from which the mass is released and the gravitational force acting on it.

2. How is the initial speed of a hanging mass calculated?

The initial speed of a hanging mass can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the mass is released.

3. Does the initial speed of a hanging mass change with different masses?

Yes, the initial speed of a hanging mass will change with different masses. This is because the initial speed is affected by the weight of the mass, which is directly proportional to its gravitational potential energy.

4. How does air resistance affect the initial speed of a hanging mass?

Air resistance can decrease the initial speed of a hanging mass as it falls due to the opposing force of air molecules. This can be accounted for by using a more complex formula that takes into consideration the mass, surface area, and density of the falling object.

5. What is the importance of measuring the initial speed of a hanging mass?

Measuring the initial speed of a hanging mass is important in understanding the laws of motion and gravity. It can also be used to determine the potential energy of the mass and its final speed at different heights.