Insert Data Into SQL Table with Number Datatype

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter Crystal037
  • Start date
In summary, the syntax for inserting data into a SQL table with a number datatype involves using the INSERT INTO statement and specifying the appropriate datatype for the values. To insert a decimal number, the DECIMAL or NUMERIC datatype can be used. It is possible to insert both integers and decimals into the same column, but the datatype must be wide enough to accommodate both. Negative numbers can be inserted by adding a minus sign before the value. It is also possible to insert null values, but the column must allow for them.
Crystal037
Homework Statement
I can't understand what is meant by precision and scale while declaring a variable as number datatype in SQL Oracle. I have created a table example and specified attr1 as number(1,1) datatype. According to my understanding it can take one digit before decimal and 1 digit after decimal.But if I'm trying to insert values like 1.1 it's showing value larger than specified precision allowed for this column. Can u explain if my understanding of precision is correct.
Relevant Equations
create table example(
attr1 number(1,1));
insert into example values(1.1);
Screenshot (128).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
The image is too small to be legible.
Referring image isn't necessary I've written the query in relevant equations part

Likes Crystal037 and jack action

Related to Insert Data Into SQL Table with Number Datatype

1. What is the syntax for inserting data into a SQL table with a number datatype?

The syntax for inserting data into a SQL table with a number datatype is:
INSERT INTO [table_name] ([column1], [column2], ...) VALUES ([value1], [value2], ...);
Where [table_name] is the name of the table, [column1] and [column2] are the names of the columns where the data will be inserted, and [value1] and [value2] are the actual values to be inserted.

2. Can I insert data into multiple columns with one SQL statement?

Yes, you can insert data into multiple columns with one SQL statement. The syntax for this is:
INSERT INTO [table_name] ([column1], [column2], ...) VALUES ([value1], [value2], ...);
Where [table_name] is the name of the table, [column1] and [column2] are the names of the columns where the data will be inserted, and [value1] and [value2] are the actual values to be inserted.

3. What is the difference between INT and FLOAT datatypes in SQL?

INT and FLOAT are both number datatypes in SQL, but they differ in terms of precision and storage size. INT (or integer) is a whole number datatype with a storage size of 4 bytes, while FLOAT (or floating-point) is a decimal number datatype with a storage size of 8 bytes. FLOAT can store larger numbers with more decimal places, but it may also result in rounding errors.

4. How do I insert a NULL value into a number column in SQL?

To insert a NULL value into a number column in SQL, you can use the keyword NULL in place of a value in the INSERT statement. For example:
INSERT INTO [table_name] ([column1], [column2], [column3]) VALUES ([value1], NULL, [value3]);
This will insert NULL into the second column, while [value1] and [value3] will be inserted into the first and third columns respectively.

5. Is there a limit to the size of a number datatype in SQL?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of a number datatype in SQL. The maximum size for INT is 2,147,483,647 and for FLOAT is 1.79E+308. However, some SQL databases may have different limits, so it is important to check the documentation for the specific database you are using.