Instantaneous Current in single phase circuit

In summary: L = (0.7/50) = 14 [mH]In summary, the problem involves finding the instantaneous and phasor current in a circuit with a voltage source, resistor, inductor, and unspecified "load" impedance. To find the instantaneous current, the frequency of the source is first calculated and the value of the inductor is determined using the equation jωL = j(0.7). The total impedance of the circuit is then found and used to calculate the phasor current, which can then be converted back to instantaneous form.
RobJob

Homework Statement

SOURCE:
v(t) = (311)cos(314t) [v]

IN SERIES WITH:
R = (0.3) [Ω]
L = j(0.7) [Ω]
"load" = 2.5 + j(1.0) [Ω]

Homework Equations

Find the instantaneous current, and the phasor current.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.) I first found the frequency of the source:
(314) / (2*pi) ≈ 50 Hz.

(2.) Figure out the value of the inductor:
jωL = j(0.7) => j(50)L = j(0.7) => L = (0.7/50) = 14 [mH]

(3.) I started doing KVL around the loop:
(-311)cos(314t) + (0.3)(i(t)) + (14e-3) (di/dt) ...

Then I didn't know what to do for the "load." It isn't specified if it's a capacitor/inductor/mix, and I'm not sure how to go from 2.5 + j(1.0) [Ω] to something I can use in the time domain? Is it just the real part of that value?
So... (-311)cos(314t) + (0.3)(i(t)) + (14e-3) (di/dt) + 2.5 = 0 ?

---------------------------------------------------------

(1.) For the phasor I found the total impedance:
0.3 + j(0.7) + 2.5 + j(1.0) = 2.8 + j1.7 = 3.27∠31.26 [Ω]

(2.) Then did:
I = V/Z = (311∠0) / (3.27∠31.26) = 94.94∠-31.26 [A]

Does the phasor look correct, and can I back into the instantaneous from the phasor?

Thanks for any help! I'm just getting back into this and I'm pretty rusty!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Robjob. :welcome:

You haven't provided the question, so it's difficult to say whether your answer is correct. Please include the problem statement.

One error: XL = jwL where w is 314 not 50

To put 94.94<-31.26 A into instantaneous form you would do:

I(t) = 94.94cos(314t-31.26) Amps

RobJob said:
(2.) Figure out the value of the inductor:
jωL = j(0.7) => j(50)L
Recompute ω!

Related to Instantaneous Current in single phase circuit

1. What is instantaneous current in a single phase circuit?

Instantaneous current in a single phase circuit refers to the flow of electric charge at a specific moment in time. It is measured in amperes (A) and can vary constantly in alternating current (AC) circuits due to the changing direction of the current.

2. How is instantaneous current different from average current?

Instantaneous current represents the current at a specific moment, while average current is the overall average of the current over a period of time. Average current is calculated by dividing the total charge that has passed through a circuit by the time it took to pass through.

3. What factors affect the instantaneous current in a single phase circuit?

The instantaneous current in a single phase circuit can be affected by the voltage source, the resistance of the circuit, and the inductance or capacitance of the components in the circuit. The frequency of the AC current can also affect the instantaneous current.

4. How is instantaneous current measured in a single phase circuit?

Instantaneous current can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the amount of current flowing through the circuit at a specific moment in time and displays it on a scale in amperes.

5. Why is it important to understand instantaneous current in a single phase circuit?

Understanding instantaneous current is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It helps in determining the performance and efficiency of the circuit, as well as identifying any potential issues or malfunctions. Additionally, knowledge of instantaneous current is essential in troubleshooting and maintaining the circuit to ensure safe and reliable operation.