Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Substitution

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution method for integration and specifically focuses on the use of trigonometric substitution. The final result is a simplified integral that can be solved using basic integration techniques. The conversation also mentions the importance of clarity and coherence in posts to make it easier for others to understand and learn from them.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{8.7.16}$
$$\int{t}^{3}\sqrt{1+{t}^{2}} \ dr
=\frac{\left({t}^{2}+1\right)^{5/2}}{5}
-\frac{\left({t}^{2}+1\right)^{3/2}}{3}+C$$
$$t=\tan\left({u}\right) \ \ \ dt=\sec^2\left({u}\right) \ du $$

Substituting

$$\int\tan^3\left({u}\right)\sec^3\left({u}\right) \ du $$

Which doesn't look like a good option ??

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle u=t^2+1,\quad\dfrac{du}{2}=t\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac12\int(u-1)u^{1/2}\,du\)

Expand and integrate, then back-sub.

$$\frac{1}{2}\int{u}^{3/2}-{u}^{1/2} \ du
\implies \frac{1}{2}
\left[\frac{2{u}^{5/2}}{5}
-\frac{2{u}^{3/2}}{3}\right]+C$$
Thus
$$I=\frac{{\left({{t}^{2 }+1}^{}\right)}^{5/2}}{5}
-\frac{{\left({{t}^{2 }+1}^{}\right)}^{3/2}}{3}+C$$

Last edited:
karush said:
I don't see how you got that
$$t={\left(u-1\right)}^{1/2}$$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} u &= t^2 + 1 \\ u - 1 &= t^2 \\ \left( u - 1 \right) ^{\frac{1}{2}} &= t \end{align*}$

Well I meant the integral but I got it

Thanks the trig substitution would have been much harder

karush said:
Well I meant the integral but I got it

Thanks the trig substitution would have been much harder

Please stop editing your posts after you've received help, post in a new reply. We like to have the thread be coherent so that anyone who stops by having a similar problem can read through and get an idea what to do.

In inclined more replies
https://dl.orangedox.com/GXEVNm73NxaGC9F7Cy

Related to Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Substitution

1. What is "-w.8.7.16. Trig subst int"?

"-w.8.7.16. Trig subst int" is a notation used in mathematics to represent the process of using trigonometric substitutions to evaluate integrals.

2. Why is trigonometric substitution used in integration?

Trigonometric substitution is used in integration because it can simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. It is especially useful when dealing with integrals involving radical expressions or inverse trigonometric functions.

3. How does trigonometric substitution work?

Trigonometric substitution involves replacing the variable in an integral with a trigonometric function and using trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in terms of that function. This allows us to use known integration techniques to evaluate the integral.

4. What are some common trigonometric substitutions?

Some common trigonometric substitutions include using u = sin(x), u = cos(x), or u = tan(x) to rewrite the integral in terms of trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any strategies for choosing the right trigonometric substitution?

Yes, there are some strategies for choosing the right trigonometric substitution. One approach is to look at the integrand and try to identify which trigonometric function would eliminate the radical or inverse trigonometric function. Another approach is to use a trigonometric identity to rewrite the integrand in terms of a single trigonometric function, making the substitution more straightforward.