Interesting topics in Beyond the Standard Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of "beyond standard model" and the search for theoretically interesting topics for a project. Some suggestions include SUSY, string theory, LQG, and non-commutative geometry. However, it is recommended to choose a more accessible and feasible topic, such as SUSY. The importance of citing appropriate references is also emphasized.
sam_021
So basically I need to do a project on a topic in "beyond standard model"
can anyone give me any theoretically interesting topics?
I know this is a very loose question, but ..

p.s I am a 3rd yr undergrad so nothing to crazy

Only topics i can think of are just a standard search for a particle e.g graviton, higgs boson, branon, tachyon etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MiniBooNE, LTSC and MINOS results for sterile neutrinos (not present in SM).

sam_021 said:
So basically I need to do a project on a topic in "beyond standard model"
can anyone give me any theoretically interesting topics?
I know this is a very loose question, but ..

p.s I am a 3rd yr undergrad so nothing to crazy

Only topics i can think of are just a standard search for a particle e.g graviton, higgs boson, branon, tachyon etc...
Depends upon your interest. If you look for a useful mathematical topic you might want to generalize QFT to more general structures than Hilbert spaces.

SUSY; you could introduce and discuss it in QM and then generalize to QFT

I think SUSY would be the most accessible / feasibily one to choose, as tom says.

Otherwise you start looking at things like string theory, LQG, non-commutative geometry etc.. You'll find the details in these somewhat inpenetrable initially but it may be possible to put together a 'hand-wavey' project on one of them based on the vast amount of online discussions of these topics. You'd have to be very careful with citing appropriate references for any assertions you make though.

Conclusion, it'd be far easier to just do SUSY. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Related to Interesting topics in Beyond the Standard Model

1. What is the Beyond the Standard Model (BSM)?

The Beyond the Standard Model (BSM) is a theoretical framework in particle physics that aims to explain phenomena that are not accounted for by the Standard Model, such as dark matter, gravity, and the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe.

2. What are some interesting topics in Beyond the Standard Model?

Some interesting topics in Beyond the Standard Model include supersymmetry, extra dimensions, grand unification theories, and the search for new particles such as axions and sterile neutrinos.

3. How does the BSM relate to current experimental research?

The BSM is a constantly evolving field of research, and many current experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, are designed to test and potentially confirm theories beyond the Standard Model. These experiments aim to provide evidence for new particles and interactions that could lead to a better understanding of the universe.

4. What are the potential implications of discovering new physics beyond the Standard Model?

Discovering new physics beyond the Standard Model could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It could also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and energy sources.

5. Are there any challenges in studying Beyond the Standard Model?

Yes, there are several challenges in studying Beyond the Standard Model. These include the difficulty in detecting and verifying new particles and interactions, as well as the need for more advanced theoretical frameworks and experimental techniques. Additionally, the high energy and cost requirements of experiments in this field make it a challenging area of research.