Internal resistance of multimeter

In summary: This is because the emf of the battery is positive and the resistor is in parallel with it, so the voltage drop across the resistor pulls the voltage down.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

I am taking a class in circuit analysis and am trying to measure the internal resistance of the Radio Shack multimeter. The internal resistance (unknown) is R_x. A battery (with voltage V_s) is available along with a resistor R that has the same order of magnitude of R_x.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the circuit shown in the attached file and connected it in the way shown below the circuit. Before making any connections, I tried to figure out what the voltages would be.

I think the voltage across R should be V_s because of KVL around the loop containing the battery and the resistor.

By applying KVL around the loop containing the multimeter, I get the following equation:

V_x + V_s = v

(V_x is the voltage across the internal resistance of the meter.)

But when I hook up the circuit, the voltage v is less than V_s, which would mean that V_x is negative, right? This does not make sense to me. It looks like R_x and R are in series, which, if V_x was positive, would mean that I could write something like

[tex]
v \frac{R}{R+R_x} = V_s
[/tex]

which would mean

[tex]
R\left( \frac{v}{V_s} - 1 \right) = R_x
[/tex]

But because v is less than V_s, the parenthesized expression is negative and R_x is negative, which can't be true. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 268
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be thinking of the meter resistance as being in series with a meter device which has infinite resistance. Instead, consider the meter resistance as a resistance value that is in parallel with ("shunts") a perfect meter. The perfect (or "ideal") meter tells you the potential across this meter resistance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52186&stc=1&d=1350874556.gif

You might want to reconsider the configuration of your test circuit (hint: think voltage divider).

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    968 bytes · Views: 691
Your equation:
V_x + V_s = v
should rather read
V_s - V_x = V
The emf of the battery is positve, but the voltage drop through Rx is negative.

Related to Internal resistance of multimeter

1. What is internal resistance in a multimeter?

Internal resistance in a multimeter refers to the resistance of the circuitry inside the multimeter itself. This resistance can affect the accuracy of the readings displayed on the multimeter.

2. Why is internal resistance important in a multimeter?

Internal resistance is important in a multimeter because it can impact the accuracy of the readings. If the internal resistance is too high, it can cause a voltage drop and affect the measurement being taken. It is important to know the internal resistance of the multimeter in order to compensate for it and get more accurate readings.

3. How do you measure the internal resistance of a multimeter?

The internal resistance of a multimeter can be measured by using a known voltage source and connecting it to the input terminals of the multimeter. Then, measure the voltage displayed on the multimeter. Next, connect a known resistance in series with the voltage source and measure the voltage again. The internal resistance can be calculated using the difference in voltage and known resistance.

4. What is the typical range of internal resistance in a multimeter?

The typical range of internal resistance in a multimeter is between 1 and 10 megaohms. However, this can vary depending on the type and quality of the multimeter. Higher quality multimeters tend to have lower internal resistance.

5. How can internal resistance affect my measurements?

Internal resistance can affect your measurements by causing a voltage drop and altering the readings displayed on the multimeter. This can lead to inaccurate results and can be especially problematic when measuring small voltages or high resistance circuits. It is important to take into account the internal resistance of the multimeter when making measurements.