Introductory mathematical induction problem

In summary: This will give you the following.2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k + 2(k + 1) = [2k(k+1)]/2 + 2(k+1)Take it from there.In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a mathematical induction problem. They are trying to prove that the sum of even numbers up to 2n is equal to [2n(n+1)]/2. The student is struggling with rewriting the substitution for k with (k+1) and proving that the left-hand side equals the right-hand side. The expert advises the student to start with the assumption that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k
SYoungblood

Homework Statement

I am just learning the joys of mathematical induction, and this problem is giving me fits.

Homework Equations

I am trying to prove that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2n = [2n(n+1)]/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The base case is to prove P(1) is correct. Simple enough -- 2 = [2 x 1 (1+1)]/2. The RHS does equal 2, so we are good to go there.

Next, substitute k for n. So, now we have 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2

We have to replace k with (k + 1), which is what we need to prove in this proof. We can also rewrite the LHS to show 2k + 2(k+1) = [2k(k+1)]/2 -- I suspect this is the step where I have gone off the rails.

With a little bit of algebra, I should be able to multiply the equations pout and prove the LHS = RHS, but I am somehow missing something, and I am pretty sure it is in step 3. The example problems I have followed in my text show the algebra is similar problems being pretty straightforward, but I am just not getting how to rewrite the substitution for k with (k + 1) as something mathematically correct.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SYoungblood said:

Homework Statement

I am just learning the joys of mathematical induction, and this problem is giving me fits.

Homework Equations

I am trying to prove that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2n = [2n(n+1)]/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The base case is to prove P(1) is correct. Simple enough -- 2 = [2 x 1 (1+1)]/2. The RHS does equal 2, so we are good to go there.

Next, substitute k for n. So, now we have 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2
Right. That's what you assume is true for some k where k ≥ 1.

We have to replace k with (k + 1), which is what we need to prove in this proof. We can also rewrite the LHS to show 2k + 2(k+1) = [2k(k+1)]/2 -- I suspect this is the step where I have gone off the rails.

With a little bit of algebra, I should be able to multiply the equations pout and prove the LHS = RHS, but I am somehow missing something, and I am pretty sure it is in step 3. The example problems I have followed in my text show the algebra is similar problems being pretty straightforward, but I am just not getting how to rewrite the substitution for k with (k + 1) as something mathematically correct.

Thank you for your help in advance.
With the above assumption, you now have to prove that your statement is true for k + 1 .

In other words, (with the above assumption) you need to prove that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k + 2(k + 1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2 .

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
Right. That's what you assume is true for some k where k ≥ 1.With the above assumption, you now have to prove that your statement is true for k + 1 .

In other words, (with the above assumption) you need to prove that 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k + 2(k + 1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2 .

OK, we can assume all of the constants to be true, and remove them form the proof. So, I now have

2k + 2(k+1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2

So,

2k + 2(k + 1) = (k + 1) (k + 2)
SammyS said:
Right. That's what you assume is true for some k where k ≥ 1.With the above assumption, you now have to prove that your statement is true for k + 1 .

SammyS said:

So, if I assume the constants to be true and can drop them from the proof, I have 2k + 2(k +1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2

So,

2k + 2(k +1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2
2k + 2k + 2 = (k + 1) (k + 2)
4k + 2 = k^2 + 3k + 2

And here is the step that has been derailing me, in some way, shape, or form, since I started working on this thing -- what am I doing wrong here?

SYoungblood said:
OK, we can assume all of the constants to be true, and remove them form the proof. So, I now have

2k + 2(k+1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2

So,

2k + 2(k + 1) = (k + 1) (k + 2)
So, if I assume the constants to be true and can drop them from the proof, I have 2k + 2(k +1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2

So,

2k + 2(k +1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2
2k + 2k + 2 = (k + 1) (k + 2)
4k + 2 = k^2 + 3k + 2

And here is the step that has been derailing me, in some way, shape, or form, since I started working on this thing -- what am I doing wrong here?
First of all, what are you calling a "constant" ?

You can't assume that the following is true!
2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k + 2(k + 1) = [2(k + 1)(k +1 +1)]/2​
You have to show (prove) that it's true assuming that the following is true. You have to show that it's a logical consequence of the following being true.
2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2​

One plan of attack is to start with 2 + 4 + 6 + … + 2k = [2k(k+1)]/2 and then add 2(k+1) to both sides.

Related to Introductory mathematical induction problem

1. "What is mathematical induction?"

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for the first natural number, and if it is true for any natural number then it must also be true for the next natural number, then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

2. "Why is mathematical induction important?"

Mathematical induction allows us to prove statements that are true for an infinite number of cases by only considering a finite number of cases. This makes it a powerful tool in mathematics, especially in the fields of algebra and number theory.

3. "What is the difference between weak and strong induction?"

Weak induction, also known as the principle of mathematical induction, only requires that the statement is true for the first natural number and that it is true for any natural number implies it is true for the next natural number. Strong induction, on the other hand, requires that the statement is true for all natural numbers up to and including the current one in order to prove the statement for the next natural number.

4. "How do you use mathematical induction to prove a statement?"

To use mathematical induction, you first prove that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 0 or 1). Then you assume that the statement is true for an arbitrary natural number, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

5. "What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?"

One common mistake is to assume that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving it for the first natural number. Another mistake is to assume that the statement is true for all natural numbers up to a certain point, but not for all natural numbers. It is also important to make sure that the statement being proven is actually true for all natural numbers, and not just a subset of them.