Introductory physics, energy conservation question

In summary, the block compresses the spring by 14.3cm and then moves up the ramp at a displacement of 6.5m, using the equations E = 1/2 kx^2 + 0 and E = 0 + mgΔy. The block's potential energy is converted into gravitational potential energy, and the use of trigonometry helps connect the two unknowns of displacement and height.
Yousufshad

Homework Statement

A 226g block is pressed against a spring of force constant 1.25kN/m until the block compresses the spring 14.3cm. The spring rests at the bottom of a ramp inclined at 62.5° to the horizontal. Using energy considerations, determine how far up the incline the block moves before it stops if there is no friction between the block and the ramp

EDIT b) and if kinetic friction co eff = 0.46

Homework Equations

This is where I am stuck, what equations do I even use?

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue is i don't know which equations i use or how to use them for this question.

DeltaU I believe is one of them which is 1/2 kx^2

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Make a drawing
2. Add some symbols of the kind you met in the subject text (slope ##\rightarrow## angle, spring ##\rightarrow## compression energy -- yes ! ## E = 1/2 kx^2## -- , friction, gravity, )
3. Collect equations connecting those quantities
4. post again !

Good luck !

Last edited:
BvU said:
1. Make a drawing
2. Add some symbols of the kind you met in the subject text (slope ##\rightarrow## angle, spring ##\rightarrow## compression energy -- yes ! ## E = 1/2 kx^2## -- , fricion, gravity, )
3. Collect equations connecting those quantities
4. post again !

Good luck !

Thanks, so i actually got the first part, the spring potential energy initially = gravitational energy finally and then i drew and triangle and solved for the hypotenuse.

But for part B) I am having issues, Initial Pot spring energy - Final grav pot. energy = (0.46)(1.022 (normal force))d

I have two unknowns, the y in mgy of grav pot energy and displacement
and only one equation!

What do i do here please, Thanks!

One thing at the time. For a) you must have used some equations other than ##
E = 1/2 kx^2##. Can you post your work ?

BvU said:
One thing at the time. For a) you must have used some equations other than ##
E = 1/2 kx^2##. Can you post your work ?

Sure!

1/2 kx^2 = 12.78J

12.78 = mgy

y= 5.77

5.77/sin62.5 = 6.5m (the displacement answer)

OK, so the spring energy is converted into gravitation potential energy to the tune of ##
E = 1/2 kx^2 + 0 \rightarrow E = 0 + mg\Delta y##. what changes when we look at the difference between a) and b) ?

I have two unknowns, the y in mgy of grav pot energy and displacement
You had that in part a) too, but you managed to connect them with a little trigonometry !

Likes Yousufshad
BvU said:
You had that in part a) too, but you managed to connect them with a little trigonometry !

Wow that's beautiful. Solving these physics problems are so satisfying aha, thanks a ton man I got it!

Related to Introductory physics, energy conservation question

1. What is energy conservation in physics?

Energy conservation in physics refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does energy conservation apply to everyday life?

Energy conservation applies to everyday life in various ways, such as turning off lights when leaving a room, using energy-efficient appliances, and reducing unnecessary energy consumption. By conserving energy, we can reduce our impact on the environment and save money on utility bills.

3. What are the different types of energy according to the law of conservation of energy?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the different types of energy are potential energy, kinetic energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, nuclear energy, and electromagnetic energy. These forms of energy can be converted into one another, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

4. Can energy be lost or wasted?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be lost or wasted. It can only be transformed into other forms. However, some energy transformations may not be useful or efficient, leading to a perception of wasted energy.

5. How is energy conservation related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This is directly related to energy conservation, as it reinforces the idea that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. Energy conservation can be seen as a practical application of the first law of thermodynamics.