Intuition for testing source in thevenin/norton

In summary, when trying to find the Norton/Thevenin representation for a system with only dependent sources, a testing source must be added on the ports in order to observe the reaction. Whether a voltage source or current source should be used depends on how the equivalent impedance is being calculated.
nhrock3
when i have a system of only dependant sources and i want to find its norton /thevenin
representation i need to add a testing source on the ports from whome we want to see the reaction

how to know that i should put a voltage source or current source
?

Physics news on Phys.org
nhrock3 said:
when i have a system of only dependant sources and i want to find its norton /thevenin
representation i need to add a testing source on the ports from whome we want to see the reaction

how to know that i should put a voltage source or current source
?

It is irrelevant. If you put a voltage source, you must evaluate how much current it supplies to the circuit in order to calculate its equivalent impedance. If you use a current source, you must evaluate the voltage across its terminals do do the same calculation.

Related to Intuition for testing source in thevenin/norton

What is intuition for testing source in thevenin/norton?

Intuition for testing source in thevenin/norton refers to the ability to use logical reasoning and prior knowledge to determine the equivalent circuit for a complex electrical network. It involves simplifying the circuit into a Thevenin or Norton equivalent for easier analysis.

How do I determine the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To determine the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to follow these steps:
1. Disconnect all the sources from the network.
2. Calculate the open-circuit voltage (Voc) by finding the voltage across the open terminals.
3. Find the equivalent resistance (Req) by shorting all the sources and calculating the total resistance.
4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with Voc as the voltage source and Req as the resistance.

How do I determine the Norton equivalent circuit?

To determine the Norton equivalent circuit, you need to follow these steps:
1. Disconnect all the sources from the network.
2. Calculate the short-circuit current (Isc) by finding the current through the shorted terminals.
3. Find the equivalent resistance (Req) by opening all the sources and calculating the total resistance.
4. Draw the Norton equivalent circuit with Isc as the current source and Req as the resistance.

What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

The main difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits is the type of source used. Thevenin equivalent circuits use a voltage source, while Norton equivalent circuits use a current source. Additionally, the equivalent resistance values may differ for the two types of circuits.

Why is it important to use Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuits?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits allow for easier analysis and understanding of complex electrical networks. They also help in simplifying calculations and predicting the behavior of the circuit under different conditions. Additionally, they are useful in troubleshooting and designing electronic circuits.