Inverse Function problem involving e^x

HJpY3QgcHV0cyB3aXRoIGJlaGF2ZSB0aGUgb3JpZ2luYXRpb24gc3RhdGVtZW50IGFzIGU^=In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of the function g(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2 and showing that g(g^-1(x)) = x. The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the inverse function and using the equation (1/2)(z + 1/z) = y to solve for z. It is also recommended to refer to the argument of the inverse function as a different symbol than x to avoid confusion.
ChromoZoneX

Homework Statement

Let g(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2. Find g^-1(x) and show (by manual computation) that g(g^-1(x)) = x.

Homework Equations

g(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the inverse = ln[ (2x + sqrt(4x^2 + 4) ) / 2 ]

How do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all,

[tex]\frac{2x\pm \sqrt{4x^2+4}}{2}[/tex] can be simplified. Factor out 4 from the square root and cancel the 2's.

If g(x) = x then what is g(2x)? Then what is g(f(x))?

Thank you very much. I understood the question and answered it

PS: Sorry for the late reply.

ChromoZoneX said:

Homework Statement

Let g(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2. Find g^-1(x) and show (by manual computation) that g(g^-1(x)) = x.

Homework Equations

g(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the inverse = ln[ (2x + sqrt(4x^2 + 4) ) / 2 ]

How do I proceed?

First: please use brackets, so write e^(-x) instead of e^-x and g^(-1) instead of g^-1 (however, e^x is OK as written). You want to find what x gives you g(x) = y; that would be g^(-1)(y). Just put z = e^x, so you have the equation (1/2)(z + 1/z) = y, which is solvable for z. After that, x = log(z).

BTW: to guard against confusing yourself and others, I suggest you refer to the argument of the inverse function as y (or z, or w or anything different from x), at least until you have obtained the final result. Then you can switch to any symbol you want. However, if your teacher wants you to do it another way, follow the requirements you are given.

RGV

Related to Inverse Function problem involving e^x

1. What is an inverse function problem involving e^x?

An inverse function problem involving e^x refers to finding the original input value (x) when given the output value (e^x) for the exponential function f(x) = e^x.

2. How do you solve an inverse function problem involving e^x?

To solve an inverse function problem involving e^x, you can use the natural logarithm (ln) function. The inverse of the exponential function e^x is ln(x), so by taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, you can isolate the input value (x).

3. Can an inverse function problem involving e^x have multiple solutions?

Yes, an inverse function problem involving e^x can have multiple solutions. This is because the exponential function is a one-to-one function, meaning that each input value has a unique output value. However, the natural logarithm function is not one-to-one, so it can produce multiple input values for a given output value.

4. How does the graph of an inverse function problem involving e^x look like?

The graph of an inverse function problem involving e^x is a reflection of the graph of the exponential function f(x) = e^x over the line y = x. This means that the x and y coordinates of the exponential function are swapped to create the inverse function's graph.

5. Can an inverse function problem involving e^x have no solutions?

Yes, an inverse function problem involving e^x can have no solutions. This can happen when the output value (e^x) is negative, as the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive input values. In this case, the inverse function problem is considered to have no solutions.