Inverse Rotation Function Question

In summary, Mr. Mathwonk mentioned that if B is a vector, then we would get a system of partial differential equations. He said that it would be complicated to find the solution, but that someone more knowledgeable in differential equations could take over. He also mentioned that Vector potential is defined as curl(A) = B, and that the solution is A_{x} = \frac{\mu_{0}}{4\pi}\int\int\int_{V} \frac{j_{x}}{r}dV. Finally, he mentioned that our university library is old and doesn't have the required books, and that this is a problem because it's killing him.
TheDestroyer
I've asked in the calculus and analysis this and dextercioboy (thanked) has gave a not specific (or i was not able to understand him) for the particular solution of the following equation,

If B was a known Vector defined as:

B=rot(A)

How can i get A?

As I know, we will get a system of partial differential equations, I want some one to give me the way to get the general solution of that system, and please to be specific,

And Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lets see, "rot" was maxwells notation in the 19th century for what we usually call the "curl", so you have a differential equation of form curl(A) = B, and you want to solve it.

as i recall, curl, which also is more modernly known as exterior derivative of a one form,

would be d(pdx + qdy) =
(round d q/(round d x - (round d p/(round d y)dx^dy, i hope. so you have some function H and an equation of form

(round d q/round d x - round d p/round d y) = H and you want to solve for p and q.

well of course the curl of any gradient is zero, so this solution is not unique by a long shot.

it seems there are many solutions to this, and you can probably pick p or q, to be almost anything and solve for the other.

sorry for not more details. i am not too motivated by these calculations.

this is sophomore differential equations. so any book, even a calculus book should help.

but at least i hope i got you started and shared the correct terminology so someone better versed in diff eq can take over.

Last edited:
[tex] \vec{A} = \pm\frac{\vec{B} \times \vec{r}}{2}[/tex] I forget the correct sign...check it yourself.

Sorry, Mr. Mathwonk, I didn't understand, do you mind using tex script?

[tex]\vec B = \nabla \times \vec A[/tex]
is very general. I don't know how to find the general solution.
In any case, the divergence of B is zero since the divergence of a curl (or rot) is always zero.
A vector field is uniquely determined by its divergence, curl and boundary conditions (Helmholtz theorem), so we only need the rotation, but it's pretty complicated:

[tex]\nabla \times \vec B = \nabla \times (\nabla \times \vec A)=\nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec A)-\nabla^2 \vec A[/tex]

If you add the requirement that [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec A=0[/itex], then you can solve it:

[tex]\vec A = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int \frac{\vec B \times \vec r}{r^2}d^3\vec r[/tex].

LOL, How can i solve the integration with [tex]d^3 \vec{r}[/tex]?

It's nothing funny.Galileo's notation is rather sloppy.For a comprehensive treatment you may want to check the web for "Biot-Savart-Laplace",or a treatise on electromagnetism...

The integration is generally on R^{3}.

Daniel.

I've studied them, in my first semester, but the way our university is teaching is very bad, can you believe they teach us mathematical formulas in physics while we don't know how to proof it, and while we don't know what it means ! math and physics has no relations in our study, and i know this is wrong, ... what can i do, I'm asking here in this forum to learn more, i can't do anything else !

For example, Vector potential is defined as:

[tex]\vec{B} = \vec{curl}\vec{A}[/tex]

And the solution is:

[tex]A_{x} = \frac{\mu_{0}}{4\pi}\int\int\int_{V} \frac{j_{x}}{r}dV[/tex]

(I don't remember if it's like that, i forgot because i don't know the proof)

But why, no one knows, this way of teaching is killing me !

And What if Rot B = 0??

We can't teach you the way you'd probably want to.That's why universities have been created.You can go to the library and pick a decent book,as Griffiths,or Jackson.There's a lotta explaining behind the mathematical fomulas you've just written...We can't do that,sorry.

Daniel.

TheDestroyer said:
And What if Rot B = 0??

Then it would be a simple Laplace equation:
[tex] \Delta\vec{A}=\vec{0} [/tex]
,which can be integrated only under certain conditions,as a typical boundary problem may ask.

Daniel.

Our university library is very old, and doesn't have the required books, believe it?

Yes...I'm sorry to hear that,that is really bad...

Daniel.

Related to Inverse Rotation Function Question

1. What is an inverse rotation function?

An inverse rotation function is a mathematical operation that reverses the direction of rotation of an object. It is used to find the original position of an object after it has been rotated by a certain angle.

2. How does an inverse rotation function work?

An inverse rotation function works by using the inverse of the original rotation formula. This means that it uses the opposite angle of rotation to reverse the direction of rotation and return the object to its original position.

3. Why is an inverse rotation function useful?

An inverse rotation function is useful because it allows us to undo a rotation and find the original orientation of an object. This is important in many fields such as engineering, robotics, and computer graphics.

4. What is the difference between a rotation function and an inverse rotation function?

A rotation function is used to rotate an object in a specific direction and by a specific angle, while an inverse rotation function is used to reverse that rotation and return the object to its original position.

5. How is an inverse rotation function calculated?

An inverse rotation function is calculated by taking the inverse of the original rotation formula. This typically involves using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to determine the opposite angle of rotation.