Inverter, Atex motors, star, delta

In summary, In order to provide two motors with two different speeds, you would need to change the frequency of the inverter.
Joe9
Dear Friends,

I need technical solution for my problem;

Specification:
I have two motors, type:

1. HCT/ATEX 45-2T-2 (R/MIN=2800), (400V-3,60A), (KW-1,50)
2. HCT/ATEX 45-2T-3 (R/MIN=2860), (400V-5,00A), (KW-2,20)

Also, every motor has its own inverter:
Inverters are from INVERTEK DRIVES (Optidrive).

My project is to provide thoose two motors working in first (lower speed) all the time , and sometimes they need to work in second speed (higher - maximal possible).
Those speeds must be provided by changing frequency with inverter.

My questions are:
1. How to know which maximal frequency (Hz) are motors made for? - ( I think maximal frequency would be the higher speed)or they can work on any frequency?
2. Also how to make electrical diagram correctly ( If I have inverters; do I use only delta connection or I can use only star connection. Or I need to use star for start and delta for running?
3. Can somebody help me to design electrical diagram?

I hope you can understand my problem, also I will be very happy if somebody can solve my problem, I am affraid of making false wiring diagram.

With kind regards,

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
OK,

I get you technical charactertistics of fans,
also maximamal airflow (m3/h) for every fan is:

MAX1. 10650 m3/h
MAX2. 12750 m3/h

I realized that with fvd I will use only one type of connection or star or delta.

If I want provide those two maximal airflows, which type of connection should I use? (What frequeny would it be?)
If I want half (m3/h)/2 I change only frequency; nothing else?

Summary which type of connection and what frequency would it be for lower speed, what frequency would it be for higher speed?

Do you need any additional informations to provide me an answer?

The speed of motor depends on both operating frequency and voltage. 400V,50 Hz,2800 rpm rated motor will run at rated speed at 400V/50Hz and at 50% of rated speed at 200V/25Hz. If this voltage/frequency ratio is kept constant the motor will operate very close to full nominal torque. Inverter drive controls frequency and voltage to mantain desired ratio. The parameter to set in the inverter drive is the "Base frequency" in "Motor settings". It should be said that , if the converter output voltage does not match nominal motor voltage, specifying correct converter isn't just done by matching watts, but should be done by matching to the motor full load current.
Joe9 said:
My questions are:
1. How to know which maximal frequency (Hz) are motors made for? - ( I think maximal frequency would be the higher speed)or they can work on any frequency?
2. Also how to make electrical diagram correctly ( If I have inverters; do I use only delta connection or I can use only star connection. Or I need to use star for start and delta for running?
3. Can somebody help me to design electrical diagram?
1.Motor rating plate tells you that. For a 3 phase motor, max rotor rpm frequency is given by n=60f/p where f is the mains frequency (Hz) and p is the number of pole pairs. p=1, 3000 rpm correspond with mains frequency 50 Hz. Nothing dangerously will happen if try to run (unloaded) motor with f=55 Hz, but at say 100 Hz things might start getting flying apart.
2. Generally, data on the rating plate correspond with mains voltage and mains frequency motor is connected to.In a star windings connection, the mains voltage (ULN of the inverter output), is reduced by factor 1/√3 on the individual motor windings. For example, if the motor rating plate data reads DY 230/400 V, and you want to run it at 400 V, you are not allowed to connect windings in delta.
3. Sorry, not me

This is vfd I use:

http://invertek.com.au/ODE-2-24150-3KA4X.html?sc=2&category=16748

Also in attachment you can see specification of motor.

I would like motor to run with maximal posible m3/h and sometimes half max=about 10000 and half 5000.

I see i need to use star connection and which parameters should be to provide my needs?

Kin regards

Joe9 said:
This is vfd I use:

http://invertek.com.au/ODE-2-24150-3KA4X.html?sc=2&category=16748

Also in attachment you can see specification of motor.

I would like motor to run with maximal posible m3/h and sometimes half max=about 10000 and half 5000.

I see i need to use star connection and which parameters should be to provide my needs?

Kin regards
This data doesn't help much to adress your question. RPM of motor for max possible m3/h and RPM for half of it and if RPM/2 corresponds to half of m3/h for your fan is more important info to know.

Sorry to mix up your pot more, Joe, but you need a fan curve and some understanding of your back pressure to understand what a good motor speed is. It's been a long time since I've worked with fans, but I remember that for a given type, like a squirrel cage of ducted, there tended to be a similar curve between various ones. Thus, you can kinda guess the speed need for a 1/2 max if you know the back pressure. Also from rusty memory, most of my back pressure tended to increase to the square of the flow. That's assuming your just blowing through simple ducts. What it means is you only experience 1/4 the back pressure at 1/2 flow as you do at full flow. Which is pretty sweet when you consider the energy savings. Since you can buy air handlers with variable speed motors, you may be chasing a problem that your local Tran, Lennox, or Carrier distributor can fix for you.

I understand thank you very much

Related to Inverter, Atex motors, star, delta

1. What is an inverter and how does it work?

An inverter is an electronic device that is used to convert direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC). It works by first converting the DC input into a high frequency AC signal, which is then fed into a transformer to increase the voltage. The output is then rectified back into AC at the desired frequency and voltage.

2. What are Atex motors and what are they used for?

Atex motors are motors that are designed and certified to be used in explosive atmospheres. They are specifically constructed to prevent sparks or explosions caused by electrical equipment in hazardous environments such as oil and gas refineries, chemical plants, and mining operations.

3. What is the difference between star and delta motor connections?

Star and delta are two different types of motor connections. In a star connection, the three phases of the motor are connected to a common point, while in a delta connection, the phases are connected in a triangular shape. Delta connections provide higher starting torque, while star connections provide lower starting torque but higher efficiency during operation.

4. How do I choose the right inverter for my motor?

When choosing an inverter for your motor, you need to consider factors such as the motor's voltage, current, and frequency requirements, as well as the inverter's maximum output power and control options. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer or technician to ensure that the inverter is compatible with your motor and meets your specific needs.

5. What are the benefits of using an inverter with an Atex motor?

Using an inverter with an Atex motor can provide several benefits. Firstly, it allows for precise speed control, which is crucial in hazardous environments where the process conditions can change quickly. Additionally, it can help reduce energy consumption and improve motor performance. Finally, using an inverter can also extend the lifespan of the Atex motor by reducing wear and tear from frequent starts and stops.