Investigating How Water Volume Affects Ice Melting Rate

In summary, the aim of the conversation was to understand the relationship between the volume of water at a given temperature and the amount of ice that can melt in it. The speaker conducted a lab experiment by putting ice in different volumes of water and measuring the amount of ice melted and the final temperature of the water after 5 minutes. The results showed that as the volume of water increased, the volume of ice melted also increased. However, the change in temperature decreased. The speaker was unsure of why this occurred and asked for help. The other person suggested repeating the experiment and drawing graphs to analyze the trends and reach a conclusion. The speaker confirmed that there were no typos in the results.
dumb__x
Aim: How does the volume of water at a given temperature affect the amount of ice that can melt in it?

I did a lab experiment. I put ice in different volumes of water and waited for 5minutes. I measured the amount of ice melted and the final temperature of water.

RESULT: (starting temp=18℃
Volume of water in cup/ Volume of ice melted / Final temperature of water
100ml / 12ml / 11℃
200ml / 20ml / 12℃
300ml / 25ml / 16℃
400ml / 20ml / 16℃

This shows that as the volume of water increases at a given temperature, the volume of ice melted icreases. It also shows that the change in temperature decreases.

I do not understand why. and I can't explain. Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you do any repeats in this experiment, or did you only do it once for each volume? I am saying this because if your results show a trend that does not agree with any theory then it will be difficult to find information supporting it. If you did three repeats for each volume then atleast you can say there was probably a higher degree of accuracy in your results when averaged.

Thanks for the reply. Yes. The results were almost the same.

You could draw a graph for both volume of water melted and volume of water. And another one for change in temperature and voume of water. Once you have drawn the graphs then you can comment on trends that the graphs shows and then dra a conclusion from them. I myself am not sure what the trend should be, but this is the way I would approach the problem. :smile:

Are you sure there isn't a typo in the table of your results?

Related to Investigating How Water Volume Affects Ice Melting Rate

1. What is the purpose of investigating how water volume affects ice melting rate?

The purpose of this investigation is to determine the relationship between the amount of water and the rate at which ice melts. This can provide insights into how different factors, such as volume, can impact the melting rate of ice and potentially contribute to understanding larger environmental processes.

2. How will the experiment be conducted?

The experiment will involve filling containers of different volumes with water and placing equal sized ice cubes in each container. The containers will be monitored and the time it takes for the ice to melt completely will be recorded. This process will be repeated multiple times to ensure accurate results.

3. Why is it important to control for variables in this experiment?

In order to accurately determine the impact of water volume on ice melting rate, it is important to control for other factors that could potentially influence the results. These variables may include the size of the ice cubes, the temperature of the environment, and the material of the containers. By controlling these variables, we can ensure that any changes in the melting rate are solely due to the change in water volume.

4. What are some potential limitations of this experiment?

One limitation of this experiment is that it only examines the impact of water volume on ice melting rate. Other factors, such as water temperature or salinity, may also play a role in how quickly ice melts. Additionally, the experiment may not accurately reflect real-world conditions, as the containers used may not be representative of natural environments.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied?

The results of this experiment can provide valuable information for understanding the impact of water volume on ice melting rate. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as climate science and engineering, in order to better understand and predict the effects of changing water volume on ice melting and larger environmental processes.