Iodine Electrode in Battery Cell - Can I2 be Used?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrode
In summary, The "iodine" electrode could be any conductive material compatible with water, iodide, and iodine. At the anode, iodine is reduced to iodide and a reasonable form of iodine would be triiodide.
pivoxa15
In a battery cell, let iodine (I2) be the oxidant. In this half cell, what could the electrode be? Could it have an I2(solid) coating so when it accepts electrons, it will form iodide and fall into the solution? I recall I2 was a solid. But what physical form would iodide (I-) be? It will try to bind with positive charges very quickly which exists in the solution? Or it could be that the positive charge exists in the salt bridge and postive ions migrate towards this half cell and the newly formed I- will travel down the electrode to combine with the positive ion.

Or should the electrode be graphite and both iodine and iodide be in the solution? But I2 will form a precipitate? Does it matter?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The "iodine" electrode could be anything conductive that is compatible with water, iodide and iodine. At the anode, iodine would accept electrons from the cathode material (zinc?) via the conductor (electrode and wire) and would be reduced to iodide.

A reasonable form of iodine would be triiodide.

I2 + I- ----> I3- (brown)

Yes, I2 can be used as an oxidant in a battery cell. In this half cell, the electrode could potentially be a solid iodine (I2) coating, as you mentioned. When the electrode accepts electrons, the solid iodine will form iodide (I-) and fall into the solution. Iodide is typically in the form of an anion (negative ion) in solution.

It is important to note that the positive charge in the solution is not solely from the iodide ions. The salt bridge, as you mentioned, also plays a role in maintaining charge balance. The positive ions from the salt bridge will migrate towards the half cell with the solid iodine electrode, while the newly formed I- ions will travel down the electrode to combine with the positive ions.

Alternatively, the electrode could also be made of graphite and both iodine and iodide can be present in the solution. However, in this case, the iodine may form a precipitate which could potentially decrease the efficiency of the battery cell. It is important to carefully consider the materials and their interactions when designing a battery cell.

Related to Iodine Electrode in Battery Cell - Can I2 be Used?

1. How does an iodine electrode work in a battery cell?

An iodine electrode is a type of redox electrode that uses the reaction between iodine and iodide ions to generate electrical energy. In a battery cell, the iodine electrode acts as the positive terminal, or cathode, and is responsible for the reduction reaction, where iodine molecules gain electrons and form iodide ions.

2. Can iodine be used as an alternative to other battery electrodes?

Yes, iodine electrodes can be used in certain types of batteries, such as zinc-iodine batteries, as an alternative to other types of electrodes. However, they may not always be the most efficient or cost-effective option, and their use is limited to specific battery chemistries.

3. Is iodine a safe material to use in battery electrodes?

Iodine is generally considered safe to use in battery electrodes, as it is non-toxic and non-corrosive. However, as with any chemical, proper handling and disposal procedures should be followed to ensure safety.

4. What are the advantages of using iodine electrodes in battery cells?

Iodine electrodes have a high energy density, meaning they can store a relatively large amount of energy in a small space. They also have a long shelf life and are relatively low cost, making them a popular choice for certain battery applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using iodine electrodes in battery cells?

While iodine electrodes have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They may not be suitable for all battery chemistries, and their performance can be affected by extreme temperatures or high levels of humidity. Additionally, the availability of iodine may be limited in certain regions, making it difficult to mass-produce batteries using iodine electrodes.