Is an electric superheater radiant or convective?

• Thread starter vishnu123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of overall heat transfer coefficient for an electric superheater. The person asks for clarification on whether to use radiant or convective calculation and for more details on the type of superheater and energy transfer method. They also mention their plan to use tubular heating elements and the continuous flow of the process. The conversation also references a previous project on a boiler and steam evaporator.
vishnu123
Hello everyone,
I am dynamically modelling a electric superheater. During the calculation I need to calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient. Can someone tell me which calculation do I need to use to calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient, radiant or convective?
Please clear my mind.
With regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello again,

What kind of superheater ? How do you intend to transfer the electric energy to the vapour phase ?

And remind us whether this was for batch or for continuous flow.

vishnu123 said:
sorry for the link, i have deleted it and will upload the clear view of the boiler
Is this the same project ? I haven't found your clear view yet ...

Hello all,
I am planning to use a tubular heating elements for heat transfer, unlike the readily available electric superheaters now. I am not concerned about the physical design parameters. The flow is continuous.
with regards

I suspect Vishnu is only modelling ...

Hello all,
something like an extension of my previous work on boiler and an single effect steam evaporator has been added and the steam generated has to be superheated.

Related to Is an electric superheater radiant or convective?

1. Is an electric superheater considered a radiant or convective heating system?

An electric superheater can be considered both a radiant and convective heating system, depending on its design and usage. In general, an electric superheater uses electricity to heat a heating element, which then radiates heat into the surrounding air. However, it may also have a fan or blower that circulates the heated air, making it a convective heating system as well.

2. How does an electric superheater work?

An electric superheater typically consists of a heating element, a control system, and a fan or blower. When electricity is supplied to the heating element, it heats up and radiates heat into the surrounding air. The fan or blower then circulates the heated air, providing warmth to the space.

3. What are the advantages of using an electric superheater?

Some advantages of using an electric superheater include its efficiency, ease of installation, and low maintenance requirements. Electric superheaters also do not produce any emissions, making them a cleaner and more environmentally friendly heating option.

4. Can an electric superheater be used for both residential and commercial spaces?

Yes, an electric superheater can be used for both residential and commercial spaces. Its compact size and versatility make it suitable for various heating applications, from small rooms to large buildings.

5. How do I maintain an electric superheater?

Maintenance for an electric superheater typically involves regularly cleaning or replacing the heating element, checking and replacing any worn-out parts, and ensuring proper ventilation. It is also essential to have a professional inspect and service the system regularly to ensure its optimal performance and longevity.