Is anyone aware of a material that emits heat very quickly

In summary, the conversation is about finding a material that can cool from 220°C to a safe temperature within a few seconds. The material should have a low ability to store heat and be able to emit heat quickly. Suggestions such as metal, ceramics, space shuttle tiles, and aerogel are mentioned. The purpose of the material is to emit heat only when a switch is on and be safe to touch within seconds when it is off. A periodic table-like index of materials with their thermal properties is being searched for.
Kyle Harris
Hi and thanks for reading.

Is anyone aware of any material which can cool from 220°C, to a safe to touch temperature within a few seconds. I guess I am looking for something with a low ability to store heat. or very good at emitting heat. Possibly metal or ceramics.

It would be heated to about 180–220 °Celsius, ideally quickly by contact with a heat element or plate.
id estimate a safe to touch temperature is 29° C

In a normal indoor environment. No vacuum, no fans or specific airflow etc.

Maybe you know of an index or database of materials and their thermal properties?

thanks for the help

kyle

Engineering news on Phys.org
Space shuttle tiles?

Likes berkeman
Anything sufficiently thin or sponge-like. A large surface to volume ratio is great.
Bad heat conductance is useful as well. The space shuttle tiles can be picked up at the edges seconds after they were glowing hot.

Any other requirements for the material? What is its purpose?

I sometimes bake or warm stuff up in the oven on a sheet of aluminum foil. I have yet to pick it up with anything except bare hands.

Aerogel would meet that need, but it's extremely fragile.

Hi guys first off thanks for the replies, I am looking into your suggestions in detail.

To further elaborate, i want to use this material to emit heat only when a switch is on, but when off it needs to be safe to touch within seconds.

I figure one of your suggestions can make a surface plate
something with a high heat capacity can then be brought into contact with the plate to rapidly warm it up.
and just as quickly uncoupling the heat source should allow the plate to rapidly cool.
I figured there would be a "periodic table" esq index somewhere with materials heat capacity/how quickly it emits etc.
im still searchingThank you gents.

Related to Is anyone aware of a material that emits heat very quickly

1. What is the fastest material for emitting heat?

The fastest material for emitting heat is graphene, which can dissipate heat 10 times faster than copper. This is due to its unique structure and high thermal conductivity.

2. Can any material emit heat instantly?

No, there is no material that can emit heat instantly. However, some materials such as graphene, carbon nanotubes, and diamond have extremely high thermal conductivity and can dissipate heat very quickly.

3. Are there any downsides to using a material that emits heat quickly?

One potential downside to using a material that emits heat quickly is that it may also cool down quickly, leading to fluctuations in temperature. Additionally, these materials may be more expensive and difficult to manufacture.

4. How does the speed of heat emission of a material affect its efficiency?

The speed of heat emission can greatly affect the efficiency of a material. Materials that emit heat quickly can prevent overheating and improve overall performance, especially in high-temperature environments.

5. Are there any alternative methods for quickly emitting heat besides using a specific material?

Yes, there are alternative methods for quickly emitting heat such as using heat pipes, phase change materials, or liquid cooling systems. These methods can be more efficient and effective in certain applications compared to relying solely on a material with high thermal conductivity.