Is ArcTan(-1) equal to both 7pi/4 and 3pi/4?

In summary, the correct answer for ArcTan(-1) is -pi/4, as the range of the arctan function is from -pi/2 to pi/2. While both 7pi/4 and 3pi/4 are equivalent to -pi/4, only -pi/4 falls within the range of the function. When working with arctan, it is important to consider angles in radians rather than degrees.
Miike012

Homework Statement

ArcTan(-1) = theta
I figured that theta was both 7pi/4 and 3pi/4.. but the book has -pi/4

Because my two answers are both equivalent to -pi/4 would I be wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, only -pi/4 is the correct answer, because the range of the arctan function is from -pi/2 to pi/2. If for x = -1, you would get more than one y, then that would mean that the function is not well-defined, ie. that arctan is not a function at all. I don't know how you defined arctan in school, but it is the inverse function not of tanx, but of tanx on (-pi/2, pi/2).

You are right in thinking that tan(3pi/4) = tan(7pi/4) = tan(-pi/4), though.

O duh that makes sence..

So say I had ... ArcTan(X) = Y
X could be all real numb and Y has to be inbetween -90 and 90 right?

Exactly. Just be careful when you say between -90 and 90, because in degrees that's true, but when you look at the y-axis, you'll have the angle in radians. Try to think of angles in radians when doing these things, and just consider degrees to help you.

Ok thank you.

Related to Is ArcTan(-1) equal to both 7pi/4 and 3pi/4?

1. What are inverse trig identities?

Inverse trig identities are relationships between inverse trigonometric functions such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent and their corresponding trigonometric functions. They allow us to solve for the angles of a triangle given the lengths of its sides.

2. How are inverse trig identities used?

Inverse trig identities are used to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding missing angles or sides. They are also used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve more complex equations.

3. What is the difference between inverse trig identities and regular trig identities?

The main difference is that regular trig identities relate trigonometric functions to each other, while inverse trig identities relate an inverse trigonometric function to its corresponding trigonometric function. Inverse trig identities are also useful in solving for angles, while regular trig identities are used to simplify expressions.

4. Are there any special cases when using inverse trig identities?

Yes, there are a few special cases to be aware of when using inverse trig identities. These include when the angle is outside of the typical domain of the inverse trig function, or when the function is undefined.

5. How can I remember all the inverse trig identities?

One way to remember the inverse trig identities is to understand the patterns and relationships between them. Another helpful tool is to practice using them in different problems to become more familiar with them. You can also create flashcards or reference sheets to help with memorization.