Is Hydrogen Ion a Powerful Antioxidant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of antioxidants and their chemical compositions, specifically L-Carnosine, Ascorbic Acid, and Lipoic Acid. The question is raised about whether these compounds are truly antioxidants and the role of the Negative Hydrogen Ion (H-) in this process. The conversation also touches on the electron layers and number of electrons for Hydrogen and Hydroxide. Ultimately, it is stated that anything with reducing properties is considered an antioxidant.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
First of all, Happy New Year 2016, may your hopes, dreams, wishes and plans be fullfiled in this year.
I'm interested in AntiOxidant.
I've read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant
and
http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/az/antioxidants/antioxidants.htm
Those sites give me this antioxidant compound lists
L-Carnosine C9H14N4O3
Ascorbic Acid C6H8O6
Lipoic acid C8H14O2S2
Are they really antioxidant, or there's a mistake in my understanding.

Now about Negative Hydrogen Ion: H-
Is it really an antioxidant?

Thanks for the answers.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
L-Carnosine C9H14N4O3
Ascorbic Acid C6H8O6
Lipoic acid C8H14O2S2
Are they really antioxidant, or there's a mistake in my understanding.
Now about Negative Hydrogen Ion: H-
Is it really an antioxidant?
Yes. Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

Hy Bystander, Happy New Year.
Thanks for the answer.
May I ask a little about this hydrogen.
Electron layer is 2, 8, 8, ... I only remember the first three. Further, it will be difficult to understand. But, since I just concern Hydrogen and Oxygen only (perhaps Carbon and Nitrogen), So I only deal with these layers 2 and 8.

Because Hydrogen only have 1 proton, so it may lose or gain electron to fill its layer.
So what is this antioxidant hydrogen? Is it H-, or any H?

Does H- means Hydrogen with 2 electrons in its shell? Perhaps I can't express my question. I'll try to understand hydrogen ion by your answer.
How many electrons does antioxidant hydrogen have? Is it 1 or two?

What about hydroxide?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxide
Hydroxide is a diatomic anion with chemical formula OH. It consists of an oxygen and hydrogen atom held together by a covalent bond, and carries a negative electric charge...
Here, I can't express my question either. So, I'll ask to the point. How many electron does hydroxide have? 9 or 10?
Judging from your answer, I'll try to understand about this ionization.

Thanks.

Hydroxide ion? Ten.
Hydroxide radical? Nine.
Anything that has reducing properties is an anti-oxidant.

Likes Stephanus
Bystander said:
Hydroxide ion? Ten.
Hydroxide radical? Nine.
Anything that has reducing properties is an anti-oxidant.
Okay...
So, if Hydroxide radical has nine, then hydrogen antioxidant has 1 electron. Is it true?And what about the electrons in hydrogen ion? is it 0 or 2? Just out of curiousity.
Thanks

Related to Is Hydrogen Ion a Powerful Antioxidant?

1. What is a hydrogen ion?

A hydrogen ion, also known as a proton, is a positively charged particle that is formed when a hydrogen atom loses an electron. It is the smallest and most abundant ion in the universe and plays a crucial role in many chemical reactions.

2. What is an antioxidant?

An antioxidant is a molecule that helps prevent or slow down damage to cells caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable atoms that can damage cells, leading to aging and diseases such as cancer. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals by donating an electron, making them less reactive and harmful.

3. How does hydrogen ion act as an antioxidant?

Hydrogen ions can act as antioxidants by donating an electron to a free radical, effectively neutralizing its damaging effects. This is because the hydrogen ion has an unpaired electron, making it a highly reactive species that can easily donate an electron to stabilize and neutralize free radicals.

4. What are the benefits of hydrogen ion as an antioxidant?

Hydrogen ion as an antioxidant has been shown to have several benefits, including reducing oxidative stress, improving cellular function, and possibly even slowing down the aging process. It has also been studied for its potential in treating various diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and cardiovascular diseases.

5. How can I incorporate hydrogen ion as an antioxidant in my daily life?

Hydrogen ion as an antioxidant can be incorporated into your daily life by consuming foods or supplements that are high in antioxidants, such as fruits, vegetables, and certain herbs. Drinking ionized alkaline water can also increase the amount of hydrogen ions in your body, providing antioxidant benefits. However, it is always important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet or lifestyle.