Is IP Spoofing Effective in Protecting Personal Information Online?

In summary: The server then sends us each other's messages.In summary, the conversation discusses different aspects of anti-virus software and IP spoofing. It is advised to only use one anti-virus program at a time due to resource usage and potential conflicts. IP spoofers do not actually hide your IP, but instead use middlemen to conceal your identity. To obtain an IP, one must get it from the user's ISP with a subpoena.
WatermelonPig
Right now I'm running the latest version of ESET which is suppossedly the best out there in terms of anti-virus although for some reason many people say that they have 5 or 6 of these so should I get a couple more and which ones? Also, I've heard of IP spoofers (PM me if you want links) which scramble your IP. I mean how useful are these and can anyone really get my IP if I email/interact with them without hacking the site's server? And I mean unless they contact my ISP then even if they know my IP can they know who I am? So tracing someone through their IP is only something the Feds can do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've always heard that running more than one anti-virus program at a time is a TERRIBLE idea for two reasons. First, they are resource hogs so just ONE of them can slow your computer down appreciably ... you really don't want more than one of them running. Second, they tend to step on each other ... that is, each thinks the other is a virus.

Just get a good one and go with that. I use Norton and am satisfied with it.

Any computer your computer communicates with over the internet has the ability to obtain your IP. In fact, it having your IP is a requirement for it to communicate with you. Therefore, "IP scramblers" can't work, on a fundamental level. Instead, they just forward your communication through other computers that act as middle men concealing your identity.

To obtain the identity of the user of an IP, one must get it from the user's ISP. Most ISPs, if not all, require a subpoena to give out the identity of a user. For them to get a subpoena, the must have evidence that the user of the IP probably has done something illegal.

Ok so right now you and I could know each other's IPs, how would we know what those are?

WatermelonPig said:
Ok so right now you and I could know each other's IPs, how would we know what those are?
No, we can't. Our computers aren't communicating directly with each other; they're communicating with the server for this website.

Related to Is IP Spoofing Effective in Protecting Personal Information Online?

How can I improve my internet security?

There are several ways to improve your internet security. Some steps you can take include using strong and unique passwords for all your accounts, regularly updating your software and operating system, avoiding suspicious links and downloads, and using a reliable antivirus software. Additionally, using a virtual private network (VPN) can also add an extra layer of security to your online activities.

What is two-factor authentication and how does it help with internet security?

Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a security method that requires users to provide two forms of identification to access an account. This could include a password and a unique code sent to your phone or email. 2FA helps prevent unauthorized access to your accounts, as even if someone manages to obtain your password, they would still need the second form of identification to log in.

Are there any common mistakes I should avoid to improve my internet security?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when trying to improve your internet security. These include using weak passwords, reusing the same password for multiple accounts, clicking on suspicious links or pop-ups, and not updating your software regularly. It's also important to be cautious with the information you share online, as scammers and hackers can use this information to target you.

How can I protect my personal information while using public Wi-Fi?

Public Wi-Fi networks can be a security risk, as they are often unsecured and can be easily accessed by hackers. To protect your personal information while using public Wi-Fi, you can use a VPN, which encrypts your internet connection and makes it harder for others to intercept your data. It's also important to avoid logging into sensitive accounts or making online purchases while connected to public Wi-Fi.

Is it safe to store my passwords in a password manager?

Yes, it is generally safe to store your passwords in a password manager. These tools use strong encryption to store your passwords, making them difficult for hackers to access. Additionally, using a password manager can help you create strong and unique passwords for each account, reducing the risk of a data breach. However, it's important to choose a reputable password manager and use a strong master password to protect your account.