Is it ever appropriate to mention citation count for papers in your CV?

In summary, when mentioning a publication with > 100 citations on a CV, it is not necessary or appropriate to list the citation count. Instead, focus on the relevance and impact of the publication and highlight your contribution to it in your application materials. Additionally, having a high number of citations may not necessarily be a determining factor in securing a position or grant. It is more important to showcase your knowledge and skills in your application.
Simfish
Gold Member
Say, what if you were coauthor on a publication with > 100 citations? And if so, how would I mention it on the CV?

Physics news on Phys.org
fss said:
Ah yes, it's the Simfish inane question of the week.

First, you aren't in this situation, so the question is moot.

Second, it would have taken you five minutes to download the CV's of a half dozen people in that situation so you could see for yourself.

Third, no.

Vanadium 50 said:
First, you aren't in this situation, so the question is moot.
But other people might be. I'm actually rather interested in that.

Second, it would have taken you five minutes to download the CV's of a half dozen people in that situation so you could see for yourself.
But most of them are tenured professors, so they wouldn't need that anyway.

What about postdocs who are still in the run for a position? Would it be terribly inappropriate to list one's favorite publications, including citation count, when applying for a grant, a fellowship, a position, etc?

Simfish said:
Say, what if you were coauthor on a publication with > 100 citations? And if so, how would I mention it on the CV?

I would not.

If you are seeking a graduate admission or a postdoc position, the person who is evaluating your credentials would have been familiar with such a paper, if it is that important enough to get such large number of citations.

You can, however, single out that publication in your letter IF (and only if) you did substantial work in it that is relevant to whatever it is you're applying for. This is true for any publication that one makes, regardless of the number of citations. As someone who has gone over a lot of postdoc and internship applications, I care more about what the candidate knows and can do, rather than how many papers (and number of citations) he/she had!

Zz.

cgk said:
What about postdocs who are still in the run for a position? Would it be terribly inappropriate to list one's favorite publications, including citation count, when applying for a grant, a fellowship, a position, etc?

List publications yes. Citation count no. If someone is interested they can look it up on their own. Also if you have massive numbers of citations then they already know who you are.

One general rule about postdocs and grant proposals, if they haven't heard of you before you submit the application, then your odds of getting the position aren't high. Also for grants and positions above the Ph.D. level, you are often expected to write out your autobiography, and for a major grant proposal or faculty search, the CV can be 15 pages of papers that you've published.

Related to Is it ever appropriate to mention citation count for papers in your CV?

1. Can mentioning citation count in my CV be seen as bragging?

It depends on the context in which you mention it. If you simply state the number without any further explanation or justification, it may come across as bragging. However, if you provide context and explain the significance of your citation count, it can be seen as a legitimate achievement.

2. Is it necessary to include citation count in my CV?

No, it is not necessary to include citation count in your CV. Your CV should highlight your skills, experience, and accomplishments, and citation count may not always be relevant or necessary depending on your field of study. However, if your citation count is particularly high or impressive, it may be worth mentioning as it can demonstrate the impact of your research.

3. Should I only mention citation count for my most cited papers?

It is generally recommended to only mention citation count for your most cited papers, as these are likely the ones that have had the most impact on your field of study. However, if you have a particularly high citation count for a lesser-known paper, it may be worth mentioning as well to demonstrate the breadth of your research impact.

4. How do I know if my citation count is high enough to mention in my CV?

There is no set number or threshold for what is considered a high citation count. It depends on the norms and expectations in your field of study. It may be helpful to compare your citation count to other researchers in your field or to consult with a mentor or colleague for their perspective.

5. Is it appropriate to mention citations from self-citations?

No, it is generally not appropriate to include self-citations in your citation count for your CV. Self-citations can inflate your citation count and may not accurately reflect the impact of your research. It is best to focus on citations from other researchers in your field to demonstrate the impact of your work.