Is it possible for any wave to be in a complex of waves?

In summary: I've been there and done that.I am headed somewhere with my line of questioning.I don't know if it would be helpful to you to know what that is.
Gary Smith
Also, if you get the gist of what I am asking, I would greatly appreciate correction of my vocabulary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gary Smith said:
if you get the gist of what I am asking

I don't. Can you give a specific, concrete example instead of just a general question?

Two atoms of oxygen bond into a diatomic molecule. Is there similar bonding between EM waves? Like, instead of one guitar string plucked, a chord.

Gary Smith said:
Two atoms of oxygen bond into a diatomic molecule. Is there similar bonding between EM waves?

Chemical bonds, like the bond between the oxygen atoms in an O2 molecule, are ultimately due to electromagnetic interactions, since that is the interaction involved in determining the quantum mechanical states of electrons in atoms and molecules. But there are no similar states involved in EM waves (assuming you mean waves traveling in free space, not EM interactions between charged particles)--EM wave states are free states, not bound states.

Gary Smith said:
Like, instead of one guitar string plucked, a chord.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be similar to a chemical bond. Chemical bonds are not two atoms "playing a chord" together.

How much background do you have in QM? Have you worked through any basic QM textbooks?

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
Chemical bonds, like the bond between the oxygen atoms in an O2 molecule, are ultimately due to electromagnetic interactions, since that is the interaction involved in determining the quantum mechanical states of electrons in atoms and molecules. But there are no similar states involved in EM waves (assuming you mean waves traveling in free space, not EM interactions between charged particles)--EM wave states are free states, not bound states.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be similar to a chemical bond. Chemical bonds are not two atoms "playing a chord" together.

How much background do you have in QM? Have you worked through any basic QM textbooks?

I have no background in QM and have read no science textbooks since 8th grade in 1967. I am not a learner by reading.

What you wrote is helpful, it gives me some picture. I did not mean a chemical bond between waves. What I am trying to understand is if waves can in some way combine to create a 'complex' of waves. It seems not so. They are, in the case of 'EM interactions between charged particles' carrying energy between particles. Do they also carry information?

There are EM waves occurring within an atom, between charged particles, is that accurate?

My understanding is very elementary, my interest is very specific (as I am headed somewhere with my line of questioning), and I am very appreciative of helpful responses.

Gary Smith said:
I have no background in QM and have read no science textbooks since 8th grade in 1967. I am not a learner by reading.

Unfortunately, this is going to put you at a huge disadvantage when trying to formulate questions. That's true in any subject, but it's particularly true in QM since so much of it is so highly counterintuitive and understanding it at all requires you to considerably revise your conceptual scheme. All the more so since our knowledge of QM has advanced a lot since 1967 (and your 8th grade science textbook in 1967 probably didn't say much even about what we knew about QM then).

Gary Smith said:
What I am trying to understand is if waves can in some way combine to create a 'complex' of waves.

The term "complex of waves" is too vague for this question to be answered.

Gary Smith said:
They are, in the case of 'EM interactions between charged particles' carrying energy between particles. Do they also carry information?

What does "carry information" mean? How is it different from carrying energy?

Gary Smith said:
There are EM waves occurring within an atom, between charged particles, is that accurate?

Not the way I think you mean, no. The electromagnetic interaction between the electrons and the nucleus in the atom, and between the electrons themselves if there are more than one, is highly significant in determining the behavior of the atom; but there is no useful sense in which that interaction can be described as "EM waves" like those you would use to analyze, say, the operation of a radio antenna.

Gary Smith said:
my interest is very specific (as I am headed somewhere with my line of questioning)

It would be helpful if you would describe where you are headed, but I also suspect it would tread close to the line of the PF rules against personal speculations. If that is in fact the case, it should be another sign to you of the limitations of your apparent learning technique. It's really, really, really, really hard to come up with a useful new idea if you don't understand what is currently known and how that knowledge is organized theoretically. I don't know of any way to gain such an understanding without learning by reading--a lot. I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I have to tell it like I see it.

Likes bhobba
Peter,

Thank you for taking time to respond.

PeterDonis said:
It would be helpful if you would describe where you are headed, but I also suspect it would tread close to the line of the PF rules against personal speculations.

Exactly. I am constrained by having had three threads closed and receiving warnings against speculation and philosophy.

Where I am headed is described in my PF profile, but I don't expect you to read it.

PeterDonis said:
I don't know of any way to gain such an understanding without learning by reading--a lot. I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I have to tell it like I see it.

I appreciate honesty and don't take it as negative. My dad was a professor, a man of science and pragmatism. We never understood each other fully, but always respected and loved each other. Even with freedom to write, I might never convince you that I am not in need of book learning. I just have my own way and it works for me when I can get specific answers as you and others in the PF have generously given me.

I looked at your profile. If that's where you are headed, then this should be rightly closed. What you have written is not scientific in the least. You have already stated that you don't have any background in physics, which is fine. But since you don't have a background in physics, you should accept that your ideas in physics are wrong.

Gary Smith said:
Where I am headed is described in my PF profile

I read it, and having done so, I don't think where you are headed is on topic in this forum. The fact that you have received several previous warnings/thread closures indicates that other moderators agree with me. (You are welcome to PM me if you want more details about why I think that; it would not be appropriate to post them here.) Thread closed.

Related to Is it possible for any wave to be in a complex of waves?

1. How do complex waves differ from simple waves?

Complex waves are made up of multiple simple waves with different amplitudes, frequencies, and phases. This makes their overall shape and movement more complicated and harder to predict than simple waves.

2. Can any type of wave be part of a complex wave?

Yes, any type of wave - whether it be sound, light, or water waves - can be part of a complex wave as long as it follows the principle of superposition, which states that when two or more waves overlap, their amplitudes add together.

3. How do scientists analyze and study complex waves?

Scientists use mathematical tools such as Fourier analysis to break down complex waves into their simple components and study their properties. They also use computer simulations and experiments to observe and measure complex wave behavior.

4. What are some real-world examples of complex waves?

Examples of complex waves can be found in many natural phenomena, such as ocean waves, earthquake waves, and the sound of a musical instrument. They can also be created artificially in technology, such as in radio waves or in the vibrations of a building.

5. Is it possible to create a complex wave with only one source?

No, a complex wave requires at least two sources to be created. This is because a single source can only produce a simple wave with a constant amplitude and frequency, whereas a complex wave has varying amplitudes and frequencies that can only be achieved by combining multiple simple waves.