Is It Possible to Prove Logarithms Using Equations?

In summary, the author's statement is a guide to interpreting her text, not a technique you may use in writing proofs.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Proof xlogby=ylogbx

Homework Equations

logb is a one to one function, that is, if logbx=logby
hint take the log in both sides of the equation and use the previous hint

The Attempt at a Solution

xlogby=ylogbx
logby log x = logbx logy
logby / logbx=logy/log x
logby/x=log(y/x)

the book says that log(r) without any base indicates that the statement is true for any base so we can say that log(y/x)=logby/x

so
logby/x=logby/x

if this is true then by the hint, x=y, so the original statement must be true

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:
the book says that log(r) without any base indicates that the statement is true for any base so we can say that log(y/x)=logby/x
What does that mean? 'log(r)' is not a statement - it contains no verb. When log is written without a base the usual convention is for it to mean log base e, although in older texts it is sometimes taken to mean log base 10.

The proof is short. Just apply the fact that ##a^c\equiv e^{c\log a}## to both sides and use the fact that ##\log_d f=\frac{\log f}{\log d}##. Here I use the standard convention of using ##\log## for ##\log_e##

andrewkirk said:
What does that mean? 'log(r)' is not a statement - it contains no verb. When log is written without a base the usual convention is for it to mean log base e, although in older texts it is sometimes taken to mean log base 10.

The proof is short. Just apply the fact that ##a^c\equiv e^{c\log a}## to both sides and use the fact that ##\log_d f=\frac{\log f}{\log d}##. Here I use the standard convention of using ##\log## for ##\log_e##
look this is exactly what the book says , "When log(x) is used without any base being mentioned, it means that the statement is true for any base", I think that mine would make sense if apply log base b in both sides of the equation and then I go backwards.

TheMathNoob said:
logby/x=logby/x
That is a trivial statement because both sides are the same. You reduced the equation you have to show to something trivially true: done.
It is much easier to read the proof if you directly take the logarithm to base b.

TheMathNoob said:
if this is true then by the hint, x=y, so the original statement must be true
Do you really mean x=y? That doesn't have to be true.

MathNoob said:
look this is exactly what the book says , "When log(x) is used without any base being mentioned, it means that the statement is true for any base",
That may work alright for some high-level statements, such as 'log z(u) is a linear function of u', but it's hard to think of any equations where it would work. It certainly doesn't work in this instance.

Ah, now I've worked out what the book means. The author is saying that she will only use the word 'log' without specifying a base when the statement she is making is true in all bases. That is guidance as to what she may do, not as to what you may do. When writing equations, the base needs to either be stated, or unambiguously implied (as per the e convention). The author's statement is a guide to interpreting her text, not a technique you may use in writing proofs.

A way to fix that: take the logarithm to base a, where a is an arbitrary positive real number.
On the other hand, and as I said before, if we want to choose a=b later, we can use log_b the whole time.

mfb said:
That is a trivial statement because both sides are the same. You reduced the equation you have to show to something trivially true: done.
It is much easier to read the proof if you directly take the logarithm to base b.

Do you really mean x=y? That doesn't have to be true.
so mine is right
mfb said:
A way to fix that: take the logarithm to base a, where a is an arbitrary positive real number.
On the other hand, and as I said before, if we want to choose a=b later, we can use log_b the whole time.
thank you so much, yes , I applied log base b at the beginning and came up with the trivial statement.

andrewkirk said:
That may work alright for some high-level statements, such as 'log z(u) is a linear function of u', but it's hard to think of any equations where it would work. It certainly doesn't work in this instance.

Ah, now I've worked out what the book means. The author is saying that she will only use the word 'log' without specifying a base when the statement she is making is true in all bases. That is guidance as to what she may do, not as to what you may do. When writing equations, the base needs to either be stated, or unambiguously implied (as per the e convention). The author's statement is a guide to interpreting her text, not a technique you may use in writing proofs.
anyways, it is wrong. I made a stupid mistake of log properties xd.

Related to Is It Possible to Prove Logarithms Using Equations?

1. Can logarithms be proved using equations?

Yes, logarithms can be proved using equations. In fact, the fundamental property of logarithms, known as the product rule, is derived using equations.

2. What is the product rule for logarithms?

The product rule for logarithms states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of its factors. In equation form, this is represented as logb(xy) = logb(x) + logb(y).

3. Is it possible to prove other properties of logarithms using equations?

Yes, there are several other properties of logarithms that can be proven using equations. These include the quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule.

4. How do equations help in proving logarithms?

Equations allow us to manipulate and rearrange expressions involving logarithms, making it easier to prove their properties. By using algebraic techniques, we can show that certain equations involving logarithms are true.

5. Are there any limitations to proving logarithms using equations?

While equations are a powerful tool in proving logarithms, they may not provide a complete understanding of the concept. Logarithms have a geometric interpretation as well, which cannot be fully captured using equations alone.