Is it possible to pursue a MS/PhD in physics as a non-traditional student?

• Thread starter ShadowBritt
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for non-traditional students to pursue a MS/PhD in physics. Many universities offer flexible programs that cater to the needs of working professionals or students with non-traditional backgrounds. It may require extra effort and dedication, but with determination and support from advisors and mentors, non-traditional students can successfully obtain a graduate degree in physics.
ShadowBritt
Hi, new member here, 57 years old, got my BS Physics in 1999 at 39. so, pretty non-traditional. Have found that while I would like to continue to a MS, it seems all the schools near me are only interested in grad slaves, rather than furthering one's physics education. As a full time worker, they don't want me, as an older guy, they also don't want me, so I am pretty disgruntled with academia.

That still does not damper my enthusiasm for physics, just kindles a fire of indignation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks. Any advice on any MS/PhD physics programs that a) would accept a 57 year old guy, b) would accept that I work full time so would be dong this part time, and c) are more interested in actually teaching than in me just being a grad slave for them? Or am I crazy to think such is even possible?

ShadowBritt said:
thanks. Any advice on any MS/PhD physics programs that a) would accept a 57 year old guy, b) would accept that I work full time so would be dong this part time, and c) are more interested in actually teaching than in me just being a grad slave for them? Or am I crazy to think such is even possible?
Please post this question in the Academic Guidance forum, not here in the New Member Intro forum. You should get good help there. :smile: