Is Jumping Around in Textbooks a Good Learning Strategy for Physics?

• Thread starter PhysicistFromFuture
  • Start date
In summary, jumping around in textbooks is not a recommended learning strategy for physics. While it may seem like a good way to cover multiple topics at once, it can actually hinder understanding and retention of the material. It is important to follow a structured approach and build upon foundational concepts in order to fully grasp complex physics concepts. Additionally, jumping around may cause confusion and make it difficult to connect related topics. It is better to focus on one topic at a time and thoroughly understand it before moving on to the next. Overall, a more systematic and organized approach is recommended for effective learning in physics.
PhysicistFromFuture
How did you find PF?
Google search.
Hi. Found this place through google search. Following the whole important information for new users process. Cheers!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!

Likes PhysicistFromFuture
Why thank you my kind, scholarly, gentleman, professor, sir! I have a question. I'm going back to school for computer science. I'm required to take some physics classes as well. First elementary physics at college level with lab then general physics 1 at college level, then physics A, B, C for engineers/physicists. I slept through my classes in high school hah.

I bought the books for future physics classes I will be taking. Started reading ahead and jumping around to things that interest me. And discovering concepts. Which sub forum would be most appropriate to create a thread where I may post my present understanding of concepts and receive feedback from those who know more than me on my present ideas and understanding?

Concepts of things like polarity, causality, fields, field effects, gradient, membrane, permeability, differentials in pressure, field of nothingness that particles carry, spectroscopy, oscillation, frequency, vibration, rhythm, dimensions including n-dimensions, particle interaction and reaction, particle creation, gravitational workings/gravity is a result (in my opinion), matter creation, transmutation, black hole implosion, light interference and holograms, entanglement+intertwined+integration of energy, patterns of fractals being produced, interrelationships, contraction and expansion and folding and implosion of space on itself that condenses itself, nothingness of empty space, death of matter, particles shooting out, time coming into being, chemical constituency of stars or planets or the universe, and stuff like that. Just the concepts, the numbers part you guys are better at than me in presently. 3-6 pages of material to be posted for one post length in a thread to be exact. If that is even allowed. I love learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
PhysicistFromFuture said:
3-6 pages of material to be posted for one post length in a thread to be exact.
Not really, I mean: Who will read this? We don't want blog like contributions. However, you are free to ask specific questions or whether your understanding of a specific topic is correct.

Which forum? Well, all of them regarding your list of subjects. As a rule of thumb: If it has figures, then it is homework. This includes the understanding of specific proofs or exercises in books, even if it is formally not homework. 'Homework' stands for the properties of a question, not its real purpose, which we cannot know. We just don't have a better word to describe it.

PhysicistFromFuture said:
I bought the books for future physics classes I will be taking. Started reading ahead and jumping around to things that interest me.
Are you sure that is a good strategy for learning? Teachers, professors, and textbook authors, work very hard to present the material to be learned in the most effective manner. Jumping around can make it more difficult for you and can result in fragments of knowledge without the underlying principles that connect them together.

I think the best way to learn is to follow the lead of your teachers. Learn in the order they present. Do the homework. Physics forums can then help you with questions where you perhaps missed a point or misunderstood. A forum is not set up to educate students A-Z.

Likes Vanadium 50 and fresh_42