Is Learning Latin Still Relevant for Mathematicians and Physicists?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of learning Latin in the modern age, with one participant suggesting that it may be useful for historical texts but may require a lot of effort for limited benefits. Another participant mentions their experience with learning Russian, which has not come in handy, and their current need to learn German and Spanish for practical reasons. The conversation also briefly touches on the potential usefulness of French and Japanese for graduate school in mathematics.
flyingpig
Is there any point at all in learning Latin?? I know this is the 21st century, but there must be some little use for it right? For Mathematician/Physicists.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only use I could think of would be to read old texts in the original, like for example the works of Euler and his contemporaries, or Newton. Seems like a lot of effort for a limited benefit to me.

I've never had any need for Latin. I suggest learning a language that would come in useful. I took Russian - that's never come in useful. Now I need to learn German and Spanish. German because my collaborators are in Germany and I often travel there, and Spanish because all our telescopes are in Chile and I spend a lot of time down there as well.

What about French? I am Canadian, so I was brought up to learn French. But must I take the language at my University? I bet I could flourish with just a native speaker as my tutor.

What are thoughts on Japanese?

I know that most graduate schools in math that require a foreign language accept French as one of the choices. The three choices are usually German, Russian and French. That said, I don't know what the chances are that you will actually use French at all beyond that.

Related to Is Learning Latin Still Relevant for Mathematicians and Physicists?

1. Is learning Latin still relevant for mathematicians and physicists?

Yes, learning Latin can still be relevant for mathematicians and physicists. While it may not be directly applicable to their fields, understanding Latin can improve their overall language skills and ability to comprehend complex terminology.

2. How can learning Latin benefit mathematicians and physicists?

Learning Latin can benefit mathematicians and physicists by providing a foundation for understanding the origins of mathematical and scientific terminology. It can also improve their ability to analyze and interpret complex texts.

3. Is there evidence that learning Latin can improve mathematical and scientific abilities?

Yes, studies have shown that learning Latin can improve cognitive skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and pattern recognition, which are essential for success in mathematics and physics.

4. Can learning Latin help with understanding historical scientific texts?

Yes, learning Latin can help mathematicians and physicists to understand historical scientific texts, as many of these texts were written in Latin. Knowing Latin can also provide insight into the cultural and historical context of these texts.

5. Is learning Latin still relevant in modern society?

While Latin may not be a commonly spoken language, it is still used in various fields, including medicine, law, and theology. Knowledge of Latin can also improve one's understanding and appreciation of literature, history, and culture.