Is Moment of Inertia Dependent on Surface Movement Away from Axis?

In summary: So I put that changing the angle to ##45## would leave the ##x## as the minimum.Apart from finding this principal angle, it was requested that the ##x'## axis (that is, the ##x##-axis of the principal axis) should be the minimum and the ##y##-axis the maximum. That is to say, about the principal axes, that there is one that must have a maximum moment of inertia and another one a minimum. So they told you that the principal ##x##-axis of inertia should be the minimum. So if you looked at the moment of inertia of each axis with the angle of ##-45^\circ##, then you got that the ##x## is the maximum and
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
Find the angle of the principal axes where ##x'## and ##y'## are the principal axes.
Relevant Equations
Last figure of the solution
Statement figure:
1.png

My attempt at a solution:
FIGURE 1 ##\rightarrow A=a^2##
2.png

CG ##\rightarrow \overline{x}=-a/2, y=-a/2##
$$\overline{Ix}_1=\dfrac{bh^3}{12}=\overline{Iy}_1=\dfrac{a^4}{12}$$
$$Ix_1=\overline{Ix}_1+\overline{y}^2A=\dfrac{a^4}{12}+\dfrac{a^4}{4}=\dfrac13 a^4\, \textrm{mm}^4=Iy_1$$
$$\overline{Ixy}_1=0\, \textrm{mm}^4\rightarrow Ixy_1=\dfrac{a^4}{4}$$

FIGURE 2 ##\rightarrow A=\dfrac{\pi a^2}{2}##
3.png

CG ##\rightarrow \overline{x}=0, \overline{y}=\dfrac{4\pi}3a##
$$Ix_2=Iy_2=\dfrac{\pi}8a^4\, \textrm{mm}^4,\,\, \overline{Ixy}=0\rightarrow Ixy=0+0\cdot \overline{y}A=0\, \textrm{mm}^4$$
$$Ix=\sum Ix_i=0,76032a^4\, \textrm{mm}^4$$
$$Iy=\sum Iy_i=0,76032a^4 \, \textrm{mm}^4$$
$$Ixy=\sum Ixy_i=\dfrac 14a^2$$
$$\boxed{\sigma =\dfrac12 \arctan \left( \dfrac{-2Ixy}{Ix-Iy}\right)=\dfrac12 \arctan (-\infty)=-45^\circ}$$

4.png

If you could tell me if it's ok you would do me a big favor. thank you very much!

The moment of inertia depended on how the surface moves away from the axis, right? Because if so maybe it does make sense that I got the two equal moments (##x## and ##y##), doesn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work for obtaining ##I_x## and ##I_y## looks correct. However, when I calculate ##\pi/8 + 1/3##, I get 0.726 instead of 0.760. But, the important thing for this problem is that ##I_x = I_y##. Many books use the notation ##I_{xx}## and ##I_{yy}## for your ##I_x## and ##I_y##. Also, many books define ##I_{xy}## to have the opposite sign of your definition. But, I've seen both definitions used.

The question asks for the angles of orientation of the principal ##x'## and ##y'## axes. You calculated one angle equal to -45o. So, I think you should include some comments regarding how this calculated angle relates to the orientation of the ##x'## and ##y'## axes.

Guillem_dlc said:
The moment of inertia depended on how the surface moves away from the axis, right? Because if so maybe it does make sense that I got the two equal moments (##x## and ##y##), doesn't it?

Yes, if you study how the mass is distributed about the ##x## and ##y## axes for this problem, then I think you can see that ##I_{xx}## should equal ##I_{yy}## without doing any calculation.

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
Your work for obtaining ##I_x## and ##I_y## looks correct. However, when I calculate ##\pi/8 + 1/3##, I get 0.726 instead of 0.760. But, the important thing for this problem is that ##I_x = I_y##. Many books use the notation ##I_{xx}## and ##I_{yy}## for your ##I_x## and ##I_y##. Also, many books define ##I_{xy}## to have the opposite sign of your definition. But, I've seen both definitions used.

The question asks for the angles of orientation of the principal ##x'## and ##y'## axes. You calculated one angle equal to -45o. So, I think you should include some comments regarding how this calculated angle relates to the orientation of the ##x'## and ##y'## axes.
Yes, if you study how the mass is distributed about the ##x## and ##y## axes for this problem, then I think you can see that ##I_{xx}## should equal ##I_{yy}## without doing any calculation.
##0,726## yes sorry I left out the ##2##.

That would be fine then, wouldn't it?

Guillem_dlc said:
##0,726## yes sorry I left out the ##2##.

That would be fine then, wouldn't it?
Yes. Hopefully, the orientations of the principal axes are clear to you from your answer for the angle ##\sigma##.

TSny said:
Yes. Hopefully, the orientations of the principal axes are clear to you from your answer for the angle ##\sigma##.
I was told that the ##x##-axis was going to be the minimum and with ##-45## I was left with the maximum.

So I put that changing the angle to ##45## would leave the ##x## as the minimum.

Guillem_dlc said:
I was told that the ##x##-axis was going to be the minimum and with ##-45## I was left with the maximum.

So I put that changing the angle to ##45## would leave the ##x## as the minimum.
I don't understand what it means to say that the ##x##-axis is a minimum or a maximum. The important thing is to be able to draw or describe the orientation of the principal axes.

TSny said:
I don't understand what it means to say that the ##x##-axis is a minimum or a maximum. The important thing is to be able to draw or describe the orientation of the principal axes.
Apart from finding this principal angle, it was requested that the ##x'## axis (that is, the ##x##-axis of the principal axis) should be the minimum and the ##y##-axis the maximum. That is to say, about the principal axes, that there is one that must have a maximum moment of inertia and another one a minimum. So they told you that the principal ##x##-axis of inertia should be the minimum. So if you looked at the moment of inertia of each axis with the angle of ##-45^\circ##, then you got that the ##x## is the maximum and the ##y## is the minimum. And then I thought about the angle of ##45^\circ##, which in the end is the same. And then the moment of inertia of ##x## was already the minimum, you know?

OK. I see now. I agree that the principal moment of inertial about the axis at +45o would be smaller than the principal moment of inertia about the axis at -45o.

TSny said:
OK. I see now. I agree that the principal moment of inertial about the axis at +45o would be smaller than the principal moment of inertia about the axis at -45o.
Okay, so it would be fine then, wouldn't it?

I believe so.