Is My Answer Correct for Boat Crossing a River Perpendicularly?

In summary, according to the solution manual, if the boat is going to cross a river directly (perpendicularly), the x, horizontal, component of the boat velocity must be cancelled.
Omid
Let me know if the following statement is wrong :
If a boat is going to cross a river directly ( i.e perpendicularly ) the x, horizontal, component of the boat velocity must be cancelled, that's be equal, by the water stream vector.

I followed this idea in a problem but my answer is not true according to the solution manual included in the textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement looks right to me (per my understanding). Maybe you have an error somewhere in your calculations. What is the solutions manual's explanation?

Here is both the problem and explanation :
If the water flows at 20 mi/h, and the boat at 30 mi/h in what angle would you head the boat to cut directly across the river?

v_BE cuts directly across the river. Head at v_BW somewhat upstream at an angle Theta such that v_BE = v_BW + v_WE, sin (Theta) = (20 mi/h)/(30 mi/h) = 0.667 so Theta = 42 degrees.

I assumed the horizontal component of v_boat to be 20 mi/h, so the vertical component became 22 mi/h then the sin(Theta) = (22 mi/h)/(30 mi/h) which leads to a Theta equal to 48.
What is wrong ?

Since the water moves east (I presume) at 20 mi/h, the boat must move at an angle so that its east-west component is 20 mi/h west. Thus [itex]30 cos\theta = 20[/itex], which gives the boat's needed direction as [itex]\theta = 48\deg[/itex] north of west.

Thus [itex]30 cos\theta = 20[/itex], which gives the boat's needed direction as [itex]\theta = 48\deg[/itex] north of west.

This is my answer too, but the answer in the solutions manual is 42 deg, so you mean that's wrong ?

Omid said:
This is my answer too, but the answer in the solutions manual is 42 deg, so you mean that's wrong ?
42 deg with respect to what? Realize that 48 deg N of W = 42 deg W of N. :smile:

sorry

Doc Al said:
. Realize that 48 deg N of W = 42 deg W of N. :smile:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :redface:

Related to Is My Answer Correct for Boat Crossing a River Perpendicularly?

1. What is a vector in relation to a boat in a river?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of a boat in a river, a vector can represent the velocity, or speed and direction, at which the boat is traveling.

2. How do vectors affect the motion of a boat in a river?

Vectors play a crucial role in determining the motion of a boat in a river. The magnitude and direction of the vector representing the boat's velocity will determine its speed and direction of travel. Additionally, other vectors such as wind and current can also impact the boat's motion.

3. How do you calculate the resultant vector of a boat in a river?

The resultant vector of a boat in a river is the combination of all the individual vectors acting on the boat. To calculate the resultant vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and trigonometry to find the direction.

4. Can vectors be used to predict the path of a boat in a river?

Yes, vectors can be used to predict the path of a boat in a river. By analyzing the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector, as well as any other vectors affecting the boat's motion, it is possible to make predictions about where the boat will travel.

5. How do you account for changing vectors when navigating a boat in a river?

When navigating a boat in a river, it is important to constantly monitor and adjust for changing vectors. This may involve adjusting the boat's speed and direction to counteract the effects of wind or current. It is also important to consider the resulting vector when making turns or changes in speed.