Is My Calculation of Uncertainty in Measurements Correct?

In summary, the conversation discussed the addition and subtraction of quantities and their uncertainties. The question was whether (22.4mL ± .01mL) + (21.3mL ± .01mL) equals 43.7 ± .02mL or 43.7 ± .01mL. The first option was confirmed to be correct with the help of online resources on the propagation of uncertainties and the sum in quadrature method.
Stevedye56
Hi,

I just had a quick question in regards to the addition/subtraction of quantaties and their uncertainties.

Am i correct in saying (22.4mL plusminus .01mL) + (21.3mL plusminus .01mL)=43.7 plusminus .02mL?

or is it plusminus .01mL ?

Im pretty sure my first answer is correct just looking for a posative verification, thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is one familiar with the propagation of uncertainties?

See - http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/natsci/slc/slconline/UNC1/index.html
for examples.

A statistically more accurate method for uncertainties is the sum in quadrature of the uncertaintieso f individual variables.

http://www.physics.pomona.edu/sixideas/labs/LRM/LR09.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help

Related to Is My Calculation of Uncertainty in Measurements Correct?

1. What is uncertainty in measurements?

Uncertainty in measurements refers to the amount of doubt or lack of precision in a measurement. It is a measure of the potential error or variation in a measurement, and can be affected by various factors such as the limitations of the measuring instrument, human error, and external conditions.

2. How is uncertainty expressed in measurements?

Uncertainty is typically expressed as a range of values, with the lower and upper bounds representing the possible variations in the measurement. This range is often represented by the symbol ±, indicating the margin of error.

3. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in measurements?

It is important to consider uncertainty in measurements because it provides a more accurate representation of the measurement. Without accounting for uncertainty, a measurement may be misleading and could lead to incorrect conclusions or decisions.

4. How can uncertainty be reduced in measurements?

Uncertainty can be reduced in measurements by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and averaging the results, and minimizing external factors that may affect the measurement. It is also important to follow proper measurement techniques and to carefully record and analyze the data.

5. Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in measurements?

No, uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated in measurements. There will always be some degree of uncertainty due to the limitations of measuring instruments and human error. However, by minimizing and understanding the sources of uncertainty, we can improve the accuracy and reliability of our measurements.