Is my model a correct one -- adding two pid controllers

• Thread starter ABDUL HASEEB ARIF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model Pid
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding two PID controllers in a model. However, it is unlikely to achieve the desired result as the purpose of a PID is to make the input error signal go to zero. It is not possible for the sum of two PID outputs to make both errors go to zero at the same time, which may result in the PIDs failing. The suggestion is to design the layout with two error signals and write process equations to make both errors go to zero.
ABDUL HASEEB ARIF
can we add two pid controllers like i have done in my model.thanks
model.PNG

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

You can but it probably won't do what you want. The purpose of a PID (or a PI) is to make the input error signal go to zero. Unless the process is unusual, there is not value of the sum of the two PID outputs that makes both errors go to zero at the same time. If they don't, the PIDs will keep searching and will fail.

Design your layout this way. You have two error signals. Write the equations of the process (not the controllers) needed to make both go to zero.

Related to Is my model a correct one -- adding two pid controllers

1. What is a PID controller?

A PID controller is a type of feedback control system that continuously calculates an error value based on the difference between a desired setpoint and a measured process variable. It then adjusts the control inputs, such as the output of a motor or valve, in order to minimize the error and bring the process variable to the desired setpoint.

2. Can PID controllers be used for any type of system?

PID controllers are commonly used in industrial control systems, but they can also be applied to a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and biological systems. However, the specific parameters and tuning methods may vary depending on the characteristics of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using two PID controllers?

Using two PID controllers can provide more precise control of a system, especially if the system has multiple inputs or outputs. It can also allow for better control of complex systems with nonlinear dynamics or disturbances.

4. How do I know if my model is a correct one?

There are several methods for evaluating the performance of a PID controller and determining if it is a correct model for your system. These include analyzing the response to step changes, performing stability analysis, and comparing the controller output to the actual process variable.

5. Can I use a single PID controller instead of two?

In some cases, a single PID controller may be sufficient for controlling a system. However, using two controllers can provide more flexibility and potentially better performance. It ultimately depends on the specific characteristics and requirements of the system.