Is my teacher wrong? Problem dealing with forces.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating Fnetx and Fnety, given that Fy = +25N and Fx = 0. The student's initial answer was 32N, but the teacher corrected it to be 77.5N. After some confusion, the student realizes that the correct equation is actually 25N = Fy - 50N, which results in the correct answer. The key lesson is to pay attention to signs and carefully consider the direction of forces.
Kinermatics

Homework Statement

Problem is in the picture

Homework Equations

The teacher told us the
Fnetx = 20N - Fx (Fx is 0)
Fnety = Fy - 50N (Fy = +25N)

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was 32N. But my teacher said the answer was C. which was 77.5N. He got it because Fnety = 75N for him. But that to me doesn't make sense since the Fy and 50N are pointing in opposite directions, won't Fnety be = -25N?

Attachments

• forces.jpg
    forces.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh nvm i think i got it. I think he meant to put that:
25N = Fy - 50 huh? Darn and to think i could prove a teacher wrong ;"D

Welcome to PF.
Kinermatics said:
Oh nvm i think i got it. I think he meant to put that:
25N = Fy - 50 huh? Darn and to think i could prove a teacher wrong ;"D
Glad it worked out finally. The key here was to think carefully about which sign (+ or -) goes with each force -- including Fnety, which we know is + because the object accelerates in the +y direction.
The teacher told us the
Fnetx = 20N - Fx (Fx is 0)
Fnety = Fy - 50N (Fy = +25N)
It pays to be careful -- those forces in parentheses should read (Fnetx is 0) and (Fnety = +25N)

Related to Is my teacher wrong? Problem dealing with forces.

1. What are forces and how do they affect objects?

Forces are push or pull interactions between two objects. They can cause changes in an object's motion or shape. For example, gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth.

2. How do we measure forces?

Forces are measured in units called Newtons (N). A force of 1 N is equivalent to the force needed to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

3. Can forces cancel each other out?

Yes, forces can cancel each other out when they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This is known as equilibrium, where the net force on an object is 0 and it remains at rest or in a constant state of motion.

4. Can forces act in more than one direction?

Yes, forces can act in multiple directions on an object. In fact, most objects experience multiple forces at the same time, such as the force of gravity and the force of friction. These forces can combine to create a net force on an object.

5. How can I use forces to solve problems in physics?

In physics, forces are often used to analyze and predict the motion of objects. By understanding the different types of forces and their effects, we can apply mathematical equations and principles to solve problems involving forces.