Is NCSU within my reach? And other "safety schools"

In summary, the individual is an industrial engineering student from India with a strong background in physics and mathematics. They are applying for the 2015 academic year and have selected a mix of ambitious and moderate schools for their list. They are also considering adding more universities from another list and want to know if they need to apply separately for different departments within a university. The expert suggests considering more schools from the "other list" and checking the specific requirements for international students, and clarifies that when applying to a university, the application is usually considered for all departments within that university.
santo35
Hey guys,

i am an industrial engineering student from India studying in one of the top 5 colleges down here (NIT only next to IIT's). I am applying for 2015. and i have selected few schools as of now. I just wanted to make sure is the list i have is "okay"

My profile as of now -
1 Journal articles in physics (general relativity)
4 Projects in physics (2 summer and 2 winter projects) (general relativity and Quantum mechanics)
1 Statistical Math Project
1 project to mathematically model product life cycle (used physics model for solving industrial engineering problems)
1 conference (this summer)
1 Lecture course by Prof michael berry (this summer)
1 Summer school in advance quantum mechanics IMSc (institute of mathematical sciences)

Over all GPA now in indian system = 7.2/10
GRE 315
PGRE yet to take.

Selected schools -
Ambitious - CMU, Zurich
Moderate- NSCU , SCSU, Waterloo

Other list - SUNNY buffalo, Univ of pittsburgh,Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville ,Univ of Kansas , michigan state , SUNNY stony broke, Univ of torento

I want to select couple of more univs from the "other list" that i would have a shot on.

please do tell me if these selection are over ambitious or okay-ish or too low for my profile.

And if i am applying (sending my scores and stuff) to department of physics for masters of physics program, do i have to apply separately for the astronomy(or any other physics) program or would mine be automatically considered for it too ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
. Your list of schools looks good, and you should definitely consider applying to some of the ones from the "other list" as well to increase your chances of getting accepted. For the universities you're applying to, make sure that you check their websites carefully to see if they have any special requirements for international students or any other criteria that you must meet. Also, when you apply to a university, it is usually for a particular department (e.g. Physics), and you can often choose to apply to additional departments within the same university if you wish. This means that if you apply to the Physics department at a particular university, your application would also be considered for the Astronomy department (or any other department) at the same university, provided that you meet all the necessary criteria.

Related to Is NCSU within my reach? And other "safety schools"

1. Is NCSU considered a "safety school"?

Yes, NCSU is often classified as a "safety school" because it has a higher acceptance rate compared to other universities and is generally considered less competitive.

2. What factors determine if NCSU is within my reach?

Some factors to consider when determining if NCSU is within your reach include your academic record, test scores, extracurricular activities, and personal statement. It is also important to research the average GPA and test scores of admitted students to determine how competitive the admissions process may be.

3. What is the acceptance rate at NCSU?

The acceptance rate at NCSU varies depending on the program and level of study. However, the overall acceptance rate for undergraduate students is around 50%, making it a moderately selective university.

4. Are there any specific requirements for applying to NCSU as a safety school?

No, there are no specific requirements for applying to NCSU as a safety school. However, it is important to meet the minimum requirements for admission, such as a certain GPA and test scores, in order to be considered for acceptance.

5. Can I still aim for more competitive schools while considering NCSU as a safety school?

Yes, you can still aim for more competitive schools while considering NCSU as a safety school. It is always a good idea to have a range of options when applying to universities. Just make sure to research and carefully consider each school's specific requirements and chances of acceptance.