Is Physics Right for Me? Career Exploration

• Physics
  • Thread starter billyx3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual loves physics and math, but dislikes chemistry. They are wondering if they can still succeed in theoretical and/or quantum physics without being good at chemistry. It is advised that they will still need some chemistry coursework, but their dislike for chemistry may not affect their success in theoretical physics.
billyx3
Hi, I am wondering if physics could be suited for me in terms of a career choice in the future. I absolutely love physics and I've always loved math. Ever since I was put into algebra ahead of all my peers I've always been one of the best math students with least amount of effort it seemed. But the only problem is I really dislike chemistry and I was wondering if I could still succeed in theoretical physics and/or quantum physics without being a chemistry wizz.

thanks for any responses

Physics news on Phys.org
The Physics will help your learning of Chemistry. You will still need one year of general lower division Chemistry coursework for any degree in Physics or in Engineering.

Physics or something like it is probably for you if you find yourself interested in Physics and good with Mathematics.

The question is *why* do you dislike chemistry. Your entry level chemistry course might focus more on memorization than the "why's and how's". If that's the case, that's in line with everything else you said, and yes you're cut out for physics.

Ehh, just read the last part of your post. sure, you could dislike chemistry nad other material subjects and do very well in theoretical physics.

Theoretical physics is completely disjoint from chemistry. It's actually closer to pure math than the physics taught in high school/undergrad curricula.

I know how you feel, Billy.
I love Physics and am very good at it, but I absolutely hate Chemistry and am generally very bad at it (bad position to be in for an AP chem student...)
If it helps, my dad explained to me that the reason I hate it so much is because there are more broken rules than rules, basically, the ones where you have to memorize both the rules and all the 10 thousand exceptions to the rule.

Anyway, hope that explanation helped and I wanted to point out that I hate chemistry.

I completely stopped my study of chemistry at age 16 and that has not retarded my development in physics an iota.

Related to Is Physics Right for Me? Career Exploration

1. What is career exploration in physics?

Career exploration in physics involves researching and learning about various career paths within the field of physics. This can include exploring different industries, job roles, and educational requirements.

2. How do I know if physics is the right career for me?

To determine if physics is the right career for you, it's important to assess your interests, skills, and values. You can also gain hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing to see if the day-to-day tasks of a physicist align with your career goals.

3. What skills are required for a career in physics?

Some essential skills for a career in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, attention to detail, and strong mathematical abilities. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists and presenting research findings.

4. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to various job opportunities, including research positions in academia, government, or private industry. Other potential career paths include engineering, data analysis, teaching, or science writing.

5. What education is required for a career in physics?

To pursue a career in physics, a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required. Many positions, especially in research or academia, may also require a graduate or doctoral degree. Continuing education and professional development are also important for staying current in the field.