Is portable generator a good idea?

In summary, the conversation is about a family living in Canada who has been without power for a week due to a storm. They are considering purchasing a portable generator as a temporary solution, but are seeking advice on whether it will be effective during a long power cut. The conversation also includes a link to an article about using a GenerLink to feed power from a portable generator to a home. There is also a discussion about the cost and necessary power output for a generator, as well as what essential items would need to be powered by it. The thread is then closed as the original poster never responded.
Ella Rollins
I'm living in Canada.. It's been one week since we have no power in our home. We are finding it very difficult to do our works without the power supply. Last week there was a huge storm and we heard that many trees had fallen. So that may be the reason for the power cut. But we have to find some temporary solution for time being. My son said that we can buy a portable generator.

Edit: Link deleted by mod, we're getting a lot of generator spam all of a sudden.

Before purchasing it I would like to ask few suggestions from you all. Will this plan help us or should we think of some other method?? I don't want to waste my money simply, so I have to know whether portable generator will be effective during these type of long power cut?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ella Rollins said:
I'm living in Canada.. It's been one week since we have no power in our home. We are finding it very difficult to do our works without the power supply. Last week there was a huge storm and we heard that many trees had fallen. So that may be the reason for the power cut. But we have to find some temporary solution for time being. My son said that we can buy a portable generator. He found an online article http://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/electrical-equipment/using-a-generlink-to-feed-power-from-a-portable-generator-to-your-home/ and said that this will help us out. Before purchasing it I would like to ask few suggestions from you all. Will this plan help us or should we think of some other method?? I don't want to waste my money simply, so I have to know whether portable generator will be effective during these type of long power cut?
How are you able to post, if you've had no power for a week?

Likes Borg and Pepper Mint
If memory serves me well gas generator was what @turbo was using in emergencies. And it is definitely a way of dealing with lack of electricity, just check how much power you need and for what. Generator prices go up fast with the output power, and typical home appliances can be quite power hungry, so it is a matter of deciding how much you are willing to spend and what is really necessary and what can wait till you are connected back.

Ella Rollins said:
I don't want to waste my money simply, so I have to know whether portable generator will be effective during these type of long power cut?
What essential things would you be thinking to use home-generated electricity for?

Thank you all for contributing, closing this thread since the OP never responded.

Related to Is portable generator a good idea?

1. Is a portable generator safe to use?

Yes, a portable generator can be safe to use as long as it is operated according to the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions are followed. It is important to keep the generator outdoors and away from windows, doors, and vents to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Regular maintenance and proper fuel storage are also crucial for safe use.

2. Can a portable generator power my entire house?

It depends on the size and wattage of the generator and the power needs of your house. Most portable generators are not powerful enough to run all of the appliances and systems in a typical household, but they can provide enough power for essential items like refrigerators, lights, and small electronics.

3. How much noise does a portable generator make?

The noise level of a portable generator can vary, but most models produce around 60-80 decibels, which is comparable to a vacuum cleaner. Some models have noise-reducing features like extra insulation or mufflers, so it is important to research and compare noise levels before purchasing.

4. Can I use a portable generator indoors?

No, portable generators should never be used indoors or in enclosed spaces. They emit carbon monoxide, which is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly if inhaled. Always use a portable generator outdoors and keep it at least 10 feet away from any structures.

5. How do I determine the right size and wattage for a portable generator?

The size and wattage of a portable generator depend on your power needs. To determine the right size, add up the wattage of all the appliances and devices you want to power and choose a generator with a slightly higher wattage output. It is also important to consider the starting wattage of appliances with motors. A generator's wattage should be listed on its specifications or packaging.