Is Probability by David Morin a good book?

In summary, the individual is looking for a rigorous and challenging book on probability for an intermediate learner. David Morin's book is popular and has good reviews, but may not meet the individual's criteria. Instead, they are recommended to try "A First Look at Rigorous Probability Theory 2e" by Jeffrey S. Rosenthal.
Buffu
I had taken probability before but not in depth and I want to learn it again. Is David Morin's book good for a intermediate learner ? I don't want to waste time on easy stuff.

The reviews are good but popular science books tend to omit proofs instead they just state the theorems and have easy problems. I don't want to buy a book like that rather I would like to have a book that is rigorous and have hard problems.

Is David Morin's book fits my criteria ?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
I don't want to buy a book like that
Problem solved.

I can tell you that you will waste time on easy stuff with that book, considering you are an intermediate learner. It even seems popular science but it has some challenging problems. I'd rather try another book.

Wastrophysicist said:
Problem solved.

I can tell you that you will waste time on easy stuff with that book, considering you are an intermediate learner. It even seems popular science but it has some challenging problems. I'd rather try another book.
Which book you suggest about probability ?

A First Look at Rigorous Probability Theory 2e by Jeffrey S. Rosenthal is probably more your speed. It's the most introductory text I know of on measure theoretic probability theory. It does assume you know everything about probability that's normally taught in an undergraduate intro to statistics course.

Likes Buffu and Demystifier

Related to Is Probability by David Morin a good book?

1. Is Probability by David Morin a suitable book for beginners?

Yes, Probability by David Morin is a great book for beginners. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and does not assume any prior knowledge.

2. Does Probability by David Morin cover advanced topics in probability theory?

Yes, Probability by David Morin covers advanced topics such as conditional probability, random variables, and stochastic processes. It is a great resource for students and researchers alike.

3. Is Probability by David Morin a practical book or more theoretical?

Probability by David Morin strikes a good balance between theory and application. It provides a solid foundation in the fundamental concepts of probability while also offering practical examples and exercises.

4. Are there any accompanying resources or online materials for Probability by David Morin?

Yes, there is a website for the book that includes additional practice problems, solutions, and other resources to supplement the material covered in the book.

5. Is Probability by David Morin a recommended textbook for college courses?

Many professors and students highly recommend Probability by David Morin as a textbook for college courses. It is clear, well-organized, and covers all the essential topics in probability theory.