Is quantum information research well funded?

In summary, Peter believes that quantum technology will be well funded in the long term, though it might not be at present.
ExplosivePete
I am applying to phd programs in physics right now. I am interested in doing research in quantum information science. I see there is a lot of interest and funding for quantum information science right now, but does anyone have any advice on whether or not this research will be well funded in the long term?

Thanks for reading,

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
ExplosivePete said:
I am applying to phd programs in physics right now. I am interested in doing research in quantum information science. I see there is a lot of interest and funding for quantum information science right now, but does anyone have any advice on whether or not this research will be well funded in the long term?

Thanks for reading,

Peter

1. Where in the world are you?

2. Define "well funded", and define "long term".

3. Anyone who thinks he/she knows or able to give you anything other than a guess to your question should be looked at with extreme skepticism. Funding for science ebbs and flows with politics. Something that is "well-funded" one year can be zeroed out the next year.

4. Is not unheard of that a program at one institution is "well-funded" for the next 3 years, while the same program at another institution will have its funding cut off. So if you are in the lucky institution, you'll claim that the program is "well-funded", but if you are unlucky enough to be in the other institution, your outlook on the funding of that program sucks. So this is a sign of a well-funded program, or is it not?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
1. Where in the world are you?

2. Define "well funded", and define "long term".

3. Anyone who thinks he/she knows or able to give you anything other than a guess to your question should be looked at with extreme skepticism. Funding for science ebbs and flows with politics. Something that is "well-funded" one year can be zeroed out the next year.

4. Is not unheard of that a program at one institution is "well-funded" for the next 3 years, while the same program at another institution will have its funding cut off. So if you are in the lucky institution, you'll claim that the program is "well-funded", but if you are unlucky enough to be in the other institution, your outlook on the funding of that program sucks. So this is a sign of a well-funded program, or is it not?

Zz.

Thanks for your reply. I am apply to programs all over the US. I take your point that research funding is very fluid and subject to change, that is a good thing to be aware of. I recognize that a reply to this question is subjective, but I think hearing those opinions is important and useful to help me get an idea of how difficult it could be for me to get funding studying quantum information.

My personal bet would be a yes, simply because it can be of military use in various weapon systems. Additionally some big names like IBM seem to be interested in its progress. So I guess, by any system of evaluation, quantum technology will probably be funded above average compared to other fields of research. But as @ZapperZ has said, that's more of an opinion than a qualified answer.

Likes ExplosivePete

Related to Is quantum information research well funded?

1. What is quantum information research?

Quantum information research is a field of study that combines quantum mechanics and information theory to understand and manipulate information at a quantum level. It involves the investigation of quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, and their potential applications in areas such as computing, cryptography, and communication.

2. Why is quantum information research important?

Quantum information research has the potential to revolutionize our current technologies and provide new solutions to complex problems. It can lead to faster and more efficient computing, secure communication, and improved understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

3. How is quantum information research funded?

Quantum information research is funded through a variety of sources, including government agencies, private organizations, and universities. Governments around the world have recognized the importance of this field and have allocated significant funding for research and development.

4. Is quantum information research well funded compared to other scientific fields?

Compared to other scientific fields, quantum information research is relatively well funded, especially in recent years. With the growing interest and potential of this field, more and more organizations are investing in quantum information research, making it a highly competitive and well-funded area of study.

5. How does funding impact the progress of quantum information research?

Funding plays a crucial role in the progress of quantum information research. With sufficient funding, researchers are able to carry out experiments, build advanced equipment, and attract top talent. This, in turn, leads to significant advancements and breakthroughs in the field, accelerating the pace of progress in quantum information research.