Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" a good book for a beginner?

murshid_islam
TL;DR Summary: Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" a good book for a beginner for self-studying?

I'm a layman with background in high school physics and undergrad calculus. Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" by David McMahon a good book for self-studying and learning quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's good. All books by McMahon in the demystified series are good. And no, I'm not him. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes bhobba, dextercioby, berkeman and 6 others
I also recommend that book ( and his other books ) but you need to keep a close eye on the typos. If you follow any derivations in the book , you should find the typos easy to spot

Likes bhobba, murshid_islam, Demystifier and 1 other person
murshid_islam said:
TL;DR Summary: Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" a good book for a beginner for self-studying?

I'm a layman with background in high school physics and undergrad calculus. Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" by David McMahon a good book for self-studying and learning quantum mechanics?
QM should not be left to self-study in my opinion. I recommend taking a course at a local college instead. I say that only based on my own experience taking QM in college and the fact that you then have an expert to ask questions of.

Related to Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" a good book for a beginner?

Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" a good book for a beginner?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" is considered a good book for beginners as it breaks down complex concepts into easy-to-understand explanations.

Does "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" require any prior knowledge of physics?

No, "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" is designed for beginners and does not assume any prior knowledge of physics.

Are there exercises and practice problems included in "Quantum Mechanics Demystified"?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" includes exercises and practice problems to help reinforce the concepts learned throughout the book.

Is "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" written in a clear and accessible language?

Yes, the language used in "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" is clear and accessible, making it easier for beginners to grasp the concepts.

Are there any additional resources recommended to supplement "Quantum Mechanics Demystified"?

While "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" is a comprehensive book on its own, some readers may find it helpful to supplement their learning with online resources or additional textbooks for further clarification on certain topics.