Is Simple Nature by Benjamin Crowell sufficient for self-study?

In summary, physicist Benjamin Crowell has released an open-source textbook on physics and mathematics, titled "Simple Nature" which has been praised by members of the Physics Forums community. It is considered a great resource for self-studying introductory physics and is available for free. Other online resources, such as lecture series on YouTube, have also been recommended for additional explanations. Professor Crowell, who is a member of Physics Forums, has been praised for his contributions and for releasing textbooks under a Creative Commons license. One member of the community has personally reviewed and highly recommends the book.
root.kit
Physicist Benjamin Crowell has released several open-source textbooks on physics and mathematics; one of them being http://lightandmatter.com/area1sn.html" .

I have decided to study physics on my own in my spare time and Simple Nature seems to be quite sufficient; at least as an introductory textbook. Does anyone here have any experience with this textbook?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent. Thank you both! I'll definitely take a look at those lectures.

I didn't know prof. Crowell was a member here. Not only a member, but a very contributing member as well. He seems like a really cool guy, releasing textbooks in a Creative Commons license and all.

I've reviewed Ben's book and would highly recommend it. (And you can't beat the price!)

Doc Al said:
I've reviewed Ben's book and would highly recommend it. (And you can't beat the price!)

Why would you recommend it??

Related to Is Simple Nature by Benjamin Crowell sufficient for self-study?

1. Is Simple Nature by Benjamin Crowell a comprehensive resource for self-study?

Simple Nature provides a thorough overview of introductory physics topics, making it a valuable resource for self-study. However, it may not cover all the material needed for more advanced studies.

2. Can I use Simple Nature as the sole textbook for self-study?

While Simple Nature is a comprehensive resource, it is always beneficial to supplement your learning with additional resources such as practice problems and other textbooks.

3. Is Simple Nature suitable for beginners with no prior knowledge of physics?

Yes, Simple Nature is written for beginners and starts with the basics of physics. It is designed to be easily understood by those with no prior knowledge of the subject.

4. Are the explanations in Simple Nature easy to understand for self-study?

Simple Nature uses clear and concise language to explain complex concepts, making it suitable for self-study. However, it is always helpful to have a basic understanding of math and science before diving into the material.

5. Is Simple Nature by Benjamin Crowell a reliable source for self-study?

Yes, Simple Nature is written by a respected physicist and has been used as a textbook in many introductory physics courses. However, it is always important to cross-check information with other sources to ensure accuracy.