Is the Feynman diagram in The Big Bang Theory episode correct?

In summary, the conversation is about a viewer's analysis of an episode of The Big Bang Theory, specifically the use of formulas and equations in the show. The viewer points out a potential error in the Feynman diagram and asks for clarification on the correct formula and answer. The other person mentions a similar occurrence in a different show and provides a reference for further explanation.
Basip
Dear community!

I watched The Big Bang Theory and watched this episode. If you click on it you would get to a homepage - if you scroll down you would get to a section called Episode Questions -> Physics Bowl. According to the newspapers The Big Bang Theory have an employee who is scientist (Chemist or Physicist). He check all the formulas in the show.

But I think the Feynman diagram is correct, but the corresponding equation is wrong. And the result is wrong too. Would you say I am right with it?

But how would the correct formula be? And how would the answer be? I am just really curious!

Kind regards!

Here the formula from the show:

$$\left ( 2 \pi \right )^4 \int \left [ \bar{v}^{(s_2)} \left ( p _3 \right ) \left (i \sqrt{4 \pi \alpha}\gamma^\mu \right ) v^{(s_1)} \left ( p _1 \right ) \right ] \frac{i g_{\mu\nu}}{q^2} \left [ \bar{v}^{(s_4)} \left ( p _4 \right ) \left ( i \sqrt{4 \pi \alpha}\gamma^\mu \right ) v^{(s_2)} \left ( p _2 \right ) \right ] \times \delta ^{(4)} \left (p _1 - p _3 - q \right ) \delta ^{(4)} \left ( p _2 + q - p _4 \right ) d^4 q$$

PS! If you need the formula and the Feynmandiagram in a better quality, you can find it here in LaTeX.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Numb3rs show was like this. A prof would write stuff on the board so Charlie would look smart. The math didn't always fit well with the show as it was added in after the story was developed.

Last edited:
Dear Basip,
I didn't watch the show. Did follow your instructions and found your answers right underneath (towards the end of Physics Bowl). See Peskin and Schroeder page 131.

Related to Is the Feynman diagram in The Big Bang Theory episode correct?

What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of the interactions between elementary particles in quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman and is used to visualize and calculate complex quantum processes.

How do you read a Feynman diagram?

In a Feynman diagram, time flows from left to right and particles are represented by lines. The type of line used depends on the type of particle (e.g. straight lines for fermions, wavy lines for bosons). Vertices where lines meet represent particle interactions, and arrows on the lines indicate the direction of flow. The diagram's overall structure and the rules of quantum field theory can be used to determine the probability of a particular interaction occurring.

What is the significance of the direction of flow in a Feynman diagram?

The direction of flow in a Feynman diagram is important because it indicates the direction of time. Feynman diagrams are used to represent particle interactions at the quantum level, where time can flow in both directions. The direction of flow helps to determine the probability of a particular interaction occurring.

What is the purpose of using Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions at the quantum level. They allow scientists to visualize and understand complex processes that would otherwise be difficult to comprehend. They are also useful in making predictions and testing theories in the field of particle physics.

Are Feynman diagrams still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Feynman diagrams are still widely used in modern physics. They have been proven to be a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles. While there have been some modifications and improvements to the original diagrams, their fundamental principles and applications remain relevant in current research and experiments.