Is the Lorentz group non-compact?

In summary: But this is not the case. Therefore, the product is not compact.In summary, the Lorentz Group is non-compact because it can be written as a product of a non-compact space and a compact space. This can be proven mathematically by showing that the sequence of elements in the Lorentz group is unbounded, thus it cannot have a convergent subsequence. Additionally, using the projection map, it can be shown that the product of the non-compact space and the compact space is also not compact.
Silviu
Hello! I need to show that Lorentz Group is non compact, but has 4 connected components. The way I was thinking to do it is to write the relation between the elements of the 4x4 matrices and based on that, associated it with a known topological space, based on the determinant and the value of the (0,0). However if I am not wrong it would be a 16 dimensional space, so I kinda got scared. I assume there is an easier way. Can someone help me a bit, give send me a link with the proof? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to explicitly state the problem - a little more formally please - it might help. I do not know an answer, but fine tuning the question always seems to help. Thanks.

Hint: Consider the orbit of some vector.

I assume you see a matrix as an element of ## \mathbb R^{n^2} ##? If so, then you just need to show closedness and boundedness. Otherwise, please explain.

Silviu said:
Hello! I need to show that Lorentz Group is non compact

WWGD said:
I assume you see a matrix as an element of ## \mathbb R^{n^2} ##? If so, then you just need to show closedness and boundedness. Otherwise, please explain.

So (by Heine-Borel) a subset of ## \mathbb R^{16} ## that is not(closed and bounded) needs to be found, e.g., the set of boosts in the x direction.

Likes WWGD
George Jones said:
So (by Heine-Borel) a subset of ## \mathbb R^{16} ## that is not(closed and bounded) needs to be found, e.g., the set of boosts in the x direction.
And notice, since projection operator is continuous, if subset is compact, its projection to any coordinate must also be compact -- closed and bounded.

Silviu said:
Hello! I need to show that Lorentz Group is non compact, but has 4 connected components. The way I was thinking to do it is to write the relation between the elements of the 4x4 matrices and based on that, associated it with a known topological space, based on the determinant and the value of the (0,0). However if I am not wrong it would be a 16 dimensional space, so I kinda got scared. I assume there is an easier way. Can someone help me a bit, give send me a link with the proof? Thank you!
A Lie group is called compact if it is compact as a manifold. For example, [itex]SU(2)[/itex] is compact because (topologically) it can be identified with the 3-sphere [itex]S^{3}[/itex] which is compact. The Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,3)[/itex] is not compact because it can “essentially” be written as a product of the non-compact space (of boosts) [itex]\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with the compact space (of rotations) [itex]S^{3}[/itex]: [tex]SO(1,3) \cong SL(2 , \mathbb{C}) / \mathbb{Z}_{2} \cong \mathbb{R}^{3} \times S^{3} / \mathbb{Z}_{2} \ .[/tex]

The proper mathematical proof goes as follow: Recall that a subset [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is compact if and only if, it is closed and bounded, i.e., if and only if, for every sequence [itex]a_{m} \in \mathcal{U} \subset \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex], there exists a subsequence which converges to some [itex]a \in \mathcal{U}[/itex]. For simplicity, consider the 2-dimensional Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,1)[/itex]. Define a sequence of elements [itex]\Lambda_{m} \in SO(1,1)[/itex] by [tex]\Lambda_{m} = \begin{pmatrix} \cosh (m) & \sinh (m) \\ \sinh (m) & \cosh (m) \end{pmatrix} \ .[/tex] Now, since the components of [itex]\Lambda_{m}[/itex] are unbounded, it follows that [itex]\Lambda_{m}[/itex] cannot have convergent subsequence. Thus, [itex]SO(1,1)[/itex] is a non-compact Lie group.

Likes dextercioby
samalkhaiat said:
A Lie group is called compact if it is compact as a manifold. For example, [itex]SU(2)[/itex] is compact because (topologically) it can be identified with the 3-sphere [itex]S^{3}[/itex] which is compact. The Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,3)[/itex] is not compact because it can “essentially” be written as a product of the non-compact space (of boosts) [itex]\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with the compact space (of rotations) [itex]S^{3}[/itex]: [tex]SO(1,3) \cong SL(2 , \mathbb{C}) / \mathbb{Z}_{2} \cong \mathbb{R}^{3} \times S^{3} / \mathbb{Z}_{2} \ .[/tex]

The proper mathematical proof goes as follow: Recall that a subset [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is compact if and only if, it is closed and bounded, i.e., if and only if, for every sequence [itex]a_{m} \in \mathcal{U} \subset \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex], there exists a subsequence which converges to some [itex]a \in \mathcal{U}[/itex]. For simplicity, consider the 2-dimensional Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,1)[/itex]. Define a sequence of elements [itex]\Lambda_{m} \in SO(1,1)[/itex] by [tex]\Lambda_{m} = \begin{pmatrix} \cosh (m) & \sinh (m) \\ \sinh (m) & \cosh (m) \end{pmatrix} \ .[/tex] Now, since the components of [itex]\Lambda_{m}[/itex] are unbounded, it follows that [itex]\Lambda_{m}[/itex] cannot have convergent subsequence. Thus, [itex]SO(1,1)[/itex] is a non-compact Lie group.
Nice. You can also argue that if the product ## \mathbb R^3 \times \mathbb Z/2 ## were compact, then, using the projection map ( given it is continuous), projection onto first component ## \mathbb R^3 ## would also be compact.

Related to Is the Lorentz group non-compact?

What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical concept in physics that describes the symmetries of space and time. It is named after Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz and is a fundamental part of the theory of relativity.

What does it mean for the Lorentz group to be non-compact?

A group is considered compact if it is finite or if it does not have any "infinite holes" or boundaries. In the case of the Lorentz group, it is non-compact because it has infinitely many elements and does not have a finite boundary.

Why is the non-compactness of the Lorentz group important?

The non-compactness of the Lorentz group is important in understanding the structure of space and time in the theory of relativity. It allows for the concept of Lorentz transformations, which describe how measurements of space and time can differ for observers in different frames of reference.

What are some real-world applications of the non-compactness of the Lorentz group?

The non-compactness of the Lorentz group has numerous applications in physics, including in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It is also used in practical applications such as GPS navigation and in the development of new technologies like particle accelerators.

Are there any other non-compact groups in physics?

Yes, there are several other non-compact groups that are important in physics, including the Poincaré group, which is the symmetry group of special relativity, and the conformal group, which describes the symmetries of space and time on a larger scale.