Is there Gravity inside the human body?

In summary, all matter, including the human body, has gravity due to its mass. However, the gravitational force is much weaker in smaller objects compared to larger ones like the Earth or the sun. The value of 'g' is dependent on the mass of the object and is approximately 9.8m/s^2 for objects on Earth. Gravity is pervasive and affects all parts of the body, including the internal organs. This is why food can still move towards the stomach even when the body is upside down. The only way to remove the force of gravity is to either move away from Earth, counter it with an opposing force, or go into freefall.
koudy
Is there Gravity inside the human body?

Physics news on Phys.org

All matter has gravity. You have gravity just like a toothpick and the sun do. Your (and the toothpicks) gravity is very little though, so your effect on objects is extremely small compared to objects with more mass such as Earth or the sun.

Thanks for d reply. I've got one more doubt. Wil d value of 'g' be 9.8m/s^2 inside d body too ?

koudy said:
Thanks for d reply. I've got one more doubt. Wil d value of 'g' be 9.8m/s^2 inside d body too ?

Things accelerate in Earth's gravity at 9.8m/s^2 if left to fall freely. If you swallowed a peanut whole, and it emerged from your esophagus to fall into your stomach, it would indeed fall at an accelerating rate of 9.8m/s^2.

Why do you think it wouldn't?

THanks to who eva replied to my post :)

I'm just going to add a little since I'm worried you're misunderstanding DaveC.

You can think of gravity as being like an effect. Anything that has mass (anything!) has it's own 'value' of gravity - the value of 'g' is dependent on the object. The bigger the mass of the object is, the bigger the value of 'g' - and since gravity is attractive, the more other objects will be attracted to it. Like Vorbis says, if you think about a toothpick floating around in space - it will have it's own value for 'g', just a very very small one. We don't notice things like this on Earth because the value 'g' Earth has is many, many times larger.

Thus since your body has mass, it too has its own gravitational field - the only reason you don't notice is because you're so small in comparison to the Earth. Gravity is prevasive and for these purposes can be considered to 'go through' anything. Consider yourself falling through the sky. Now, before you activate your parachute(!), you already know that you'll be experiencing an acceleration of 9.8ms/2 - if gravity didn't affect all of your body at the same time, what would happen?

If the outside of your body shielded the inside from gravitational effects then it would mean that your skin would be accelerating at 9.8ms/2 whilst, rather unfortunately, your internal organs would be at 0ms/2 - thinking about this will reveal the fact that it doesn't make sense. Where would your insides go? From common experience, they need to move at the same rate as the rest of your body.

According to Einstein, not only mass, all physical fields (energy) have gravity feature. Means, don't search gravity inside mass. It is a feature of energy.

One of d replies to my question said tat d food(peanut) wud reach d stomach wid a speed of 9.8m/s2. But, it has been experimentally proved tat even if v take in food, chew it n stand upside down, d food stil moves towards d stomach n dusnt come back. Y wd tat b? Is ther ny force opposin d gravitational force assumin there's gravity inside d body?

koudy said:
One of d replies to my question said tat d food(peanut) wud reach d stomach wid a speed of 9.8m/s2. But, it has been experimentally proved tat even if v take in food, chew it n stand upside down, d food stil moves towards d stomach n dusnt come back. Y wd tat b? Is ther nythin apart from gravity inside d body?
It is very difficult to understand your typing. Is English not your first language?

Your esophagus is lined with muscles that push food down to the stomach. At no time will food be in freefall in your esophagus. I was simplifying a scenario where, once the food exited the esophagus into your stomach, it would fall to the bottom of your stomach. (This is not strictly true either, since your stomach tends to expand and contract as it fills and empties, meaning it won't be a big hollow bag for the peanut to fall through.)

All that aside, everywhere on the surface of the Earth, inside or outside objects, the force of gravity is felt. There are only three ways to remove this force:
1] gain enough altitude that Earth's gravity is lessened by distance
2] cancel the force with an opposing gravitational force in the opposite direction (move to the centre of the Earth or suspend an Earth-sized planet over your head).
3] go into freefall (say by plunging in a fast elevator or by orbiting Earth).

Sorry for the language. I am quite used to the Internet chatting language. And thanks for your prompt reply

Related to Is there Gravity inside the human body?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is the force that keeps us grounded on Earth and is also responsible for the motion of the planets around the sun.

2. Is there gravity inside the human body?

Yes, there is gravity inside the human body. Every object with mass, including our bodies, is affected by gravity. However, the gravitational force inside the body is not as strong as the force on the surface of the Earth.

3. How does gravity affect the human body?

Gravity affects the human body in several ways. It keeps us upright and allows us to move around on Earth. It also affects our blood flow, as the heart has to work against gravity to pump blood to the upper body. In space, where there is no gravity, astronauts experience changes in their bone density and muscle mass due to lack of resistance.

4. Does gravity change inside the human body?

Yes, gravity can vary inside the human body. The closer an object is to the center of the Earth, the stronger the gravitational force. This means that different parts of the body, such as the head and feet, may experience slightly different levels of gravity.

5. Can we measure the gravity inside the human body?

Yes, we can measure the gravity inside the human body using specialized equipment such as a gravimeter. However, the difference in gravity between different parts of the body is very small and difficult to measure accurately. In most cases, the gravity inside the body is considered to be the same as the gravity on the surface of the Earth.