Is this a trick question? Standard form

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard form of a problem, with the main focus on the constraints. The speaker mentions that the standard form varies among different sources, but all agree that the variables must be non-negative. They also discuss the meaning of "urs" and how it affects the standard form. The conversation ends with the speaker stating that they can easily make the problem conform to the standard form by making the variables positive.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7440/unledtev.png

The Attempt at a Solution

There are like 2 other problems in my book similar to this one.

I thought problems posed in this manner are already in standard form. They say

"max [obj f]

s.t.

constraints, for variables positive "

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7440/unledtev.png

The Attempt at a Solution

There are like 2 other problems in my book similar to this one.

I thought problems posed in this manner are already in standard form. They say

"max [obj f]

s.t.

constraints, for variables positive "

I hope your book does not say that variables are positive, for often they are not: they can be ZERO as well, and often are in an optimal solution. So, you should say non-negative, not positive. Problems with positive variables may not have any optimal solutions; the simplest example of this is min x, subject to x > 0.

Does the problem above satisfy ALL the requirements of a "standard" problem?

RGV

Oh I have change [tex]3x_1 +3x_2 + x_3 \geq 2[/tex] to [tex]-3x_1 - 3x_2 - x_3 \leq -2[/tex]

And for [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 = -4[/tex], I have to change it to [tex]-x_1 - 2x_3 \leq 4[/tex] because x_1 and x_3 are nonnegative ?

Also what does u.r.s. mean...? Because I just assumed it meant it can be positive..

EDIT:

[tex]x_1 + 2x_3 = -4[/tex]

Could also say

[tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \geq -4[/tex] and [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \leq -4[/tex]

Then

[tex]-x_1 -2x_3 \leq 4[/tex] and [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \leq -4[/tex] would make the requirements for constraints in standard form.

flyingpig said:
Oh I have change [tex]3x_1 +3x_2 + x_3 \geq 2[/tex] to [tex]-3x_1 - 3x_2 - x_3 \leq -2[/tex]

And for [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 = -4[/tex], I have to change it to [tex]-x_1 - 2x_3 \leq 4[/tex] because x_1 and x_3 are nonnegative ?

Also what does u.r.s. mean...? Because I just assumed it meant it can be positive..

EDIT:

[tex]x_1 + 2x_3 = -4[/tex]

Could also say

[tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \geq -4[/tex] and [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \leq -4[/tex]

Then

[tex]-x_1 -2x_3 \leq 4[/tex] and [tex]x_1 + 2x_3 \leq -4[/tex] would make the requirements for constraints in standard form.

Different authors have different definitions of "standard form". For example, the standard form in https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/angelia/www/ge330fall09_stform4.pdf is max or min cx, st AX = b, x >= 0 (obtained by using slack or surplus variables if necessary). In others sources the standard is a minimization, in some others a maximization, in some others the constraints must all be <=, etc. Myself, I prefer the form max cx st Ax=b, x >= 0 form, because that is the form you need to get started on the simplex method. However, *ALL sources agree that 'x >= 0' is part of the standard*.

In your problem, x_3 urs means, I think, that x_3 is unrestricted in sign; that is, x_3 can be < 0 or >= 0. That makes your problem non-standard, and you are asked to do something to it to put it into standard form. More than that I cannot say without solving your problem for you.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Different authors have different definitions of "standard form". For example, the standard form in https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/angelia/www/ge330fall09_stform4.pdf is max or min cx, st AX = b, x >= 0 (obtained by using slack or surplus variables if necessary). In others sources the standard is a minimization, in some others a maximization, in some others the constraints must all be <=, etc. Myself, I prefer the form max cx st Ax=b, x >= 0 form, because that is the form you need to get started on the simplex method. However, *ALL sources agree that 'x >= 0' is part of the standard*.

It does say (max) in parenthesis, let's go with mine!

In your problem, x_3 urs means, I think, that x_3 is unrestricted in sign; that is, x_3 can be < 0 or >= 0. That makes your problem non-standard, and you are asked to do something to it to put it into standard form. More than that I cannot say without solving your problem for you.

RGV

Oh that's easy, I can just make it into positive as I have and erase my new inequality!

Thanks

Related to Is this a trick question? Standard form

1. What is a "trick question" in standard form?

A "trick question" in standard form is a type of question that is intentionally designed to be confusing or misleading. It may use language or structure that is meant to trick the person answering into choosing the wrong answer.

2. How can I identify if a question is a "trick question" in standard form?

One way to identify a "trick question" in standard form is to carefully read the question and look for any words or phrases that seem out of place or contradictory. Another way is to pay attention to the structure of the question, as "trick questions" often have a distinct format that is different from regular questions.

3. Are "trick questions" in standard form common in academic settings?

Yes, "trick questions" in standard form are often used in academic settings such as tests, quizzes, and exams. They are designed to test a person's critical thinking skills and ability to analyze information.

4. How can I effectively answer a "trick question" in standard form?

The best way to answer a "trick question" in standard form is to carefully read and analyze the question, and then eliminate any obvious wrong answers. If you are still unsure, try to rephrase the question in your own words to gain a better understanding of what is being asked.

5. Is it possible to prepare for "trick questions" in standard form?

Yes, it is possible to prepare for "trick questions" in standard form by practicing with similar types of questions and developing critical thinking skills. It is also helpful to read and understand the instructions and format of the test or exam beforehand.