Is This Contraction of a Tensor Allowed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between two correct contractions of a scalar ##S=A^{\alpha}_{\beta}B^{\beta}_{\alpha}##. The first contraction, ## A^a_a B^b_b ##, is the product of two scalars, while the second, ## A^a_bB^b_a ##, involves contracting a fourth order tensor twice. This leads to a difference in the resulting expressions, as illustrated in matrix language.
Physicist97
Say you have a scalar ##S=A^{\alpha}_{\beta}B^{\beta}_{\alpha}## . Since this just means to sum over ##{\alpha}## and ##{\beta}## , is it allowable to rewrite it as ##S=A^{\alpha}_{\alpha}B^{\beta}_{\beta}## . I don't see anything wrong with this, I simply rewrote the dummy indices, but since I am not by far an expert I would like some confirmation.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're both correct contractions but not equal to each other.
More precisely, ## A^a_a B^b_b ## is the product of two scalars.
But ## A^a_bB^b_a ## is different. Consider the tensor ## S^{ad}_{bc}=A^a_b B^d_c ##. Now if I contract a with c and b with d, I get## A^a_bB^b_a ##. So here you're contracting a fourth order tensor twice, instead of multiplying two scalars where each is a contracted 2nd rank tensor.

Likes Physicist97
Suppose e.g. that the indices run from 0 to 1. Then the former means ##A^0_0 B^0_0+ A^0_1B^1_0 +A^1_0B^0_1+A^1_1B^1_1## and the latter means ##(A^0_0+A^1_1)(B^0_0+B^1_1)##, which is equal to ##A^0_0B^0_0+A^0_0B^1_1+A^1_1B^0_0+A^1_1B^1_1##. The difference is ##A^0_1B^1_0+A^1_0B^0_1-A^0_0B^1_1-A^1_1B^0_0##. This isn't always zero.

Likes Physicist97
Thanks for the quick replies. I understand now the mistake I made when I assumed the indices could be exchanged just because they were dummy indices.

In matrix language,
the first is Trace(AB), and the second is Trace(A)Trace(B), which are generally not equal.

Likes Physicist97

Related to Is This Contraction of a Tensor Allowed?

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object used to describe physical quantities, such as forces and velocities, in a coordinate-independent manner. It is represented by a multi-dimensional array of numbers that transforms in a specific way under coordinate transformations.

2. What is a tensor contraction?

A tensor contraction is an operation that involves summing over one or more indices of a tensor, resulting in a new tensor with fewer dimensions. It is often used to simplify calculations and express relationships between different components of a tensor.

3. Why do we need to contract tensors?

Contracting tensors allows us to express complicated relationships between different components of a tensor in a simpler form. It also helps us to reduce the number of calculations needed in certain problems, making them more manageable and efficient.

4. Is there a specific rule for tensor contraction?

Yes, there is a specific rule for tensor contraction known as the Einstein summation convention. This convention states that when an index appears twice in a term, once as a subscript and once as a superscript, it is implied that a summation is performed over that index. This simplifies notation and avoids writing out long sums.

5. How do we know if a contraction of a tensor is allowed?

In general, a contraction of a tensor is allowed if the resulting tensor has well-defined transformation properties and can be expressed in a coordinate-independent manner. It is important to follow the rules of tensor algebra and keep track of indices to determine if a contraction is allowed.