Is this Differential Calculus Exercise Correct?

In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the dF over a point P_0 chosen in the equation z=F(u,v)=5u^2+4v-7 with the system of equations x+y^3+u^3+v=0 and x^3+y-4u+v^4=0. It is determined that the implicit function theorem applies and the partial derivatives of F with respect to u and v are both polynomials of class C^k y. The conversation then goes on to discuss the process of finding the partial derivatives with respect to x and y, with a specific focus on the values of u and v at P_0. The conversation concludes by confirming that the process appears to be correct and
Telemachus
Hi there, I have this exercise, I'd like to know what you think, if I did this right:

If [tex]z=F(u,v)=5u^2+4v-7[/tex], with [tex]\begin{Bmatrix} x+y^3+u^3+v=0\\x^3+y-4u+v^4=0\end{matrix}[/tex]. Determine if its possible the dF over a point adequately chosen.

So I choose [tex]P_0(0,-1,0,1)[/tex] which satisfies the system

Then I've verified that [tex]F_1,F_2[/tex] satisfies the implicit function theorem, both functions are polynomials of class [tex]C^k[/tex] y

[tex]\frac{{\partial (F_1,F_2)}}{{\partial (u,v)}}=4\neq{0}[/tex] then [tex]\exists{ E_r(P_0)}:\begin{Bmatrix} u=u(x,y)\\v=v(x,y)\end{matrix}[/tex]

Then I consider:

[tex]dF=\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial x}}dx+\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial y}}dy[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial x}}=\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial u}}\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial x}}+\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial v}}\frac{{\partial v}}{{\partial x}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial y}}=\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial u}}\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial y}}+\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial v}}\frac{{\partial v}}{{\partial y}}[/tex]

And I set:

[tex]\frac{{\partial F_i}}{{\partial x}}= 1+3u^2\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial x}}+\frac{{\partial v}}{{\partial x}}=0\\3x^2-4\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial x}}+4v^3\frac{{\partial v}}{{\partial x}}=0\end{matrix}[/tex]

From where I get:
[tex]\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial x}}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{{\partial v}}{{\partial x}}_{P_0}=-1[/tex]

Analogous procedure for the derivatives with respect to y, and:

[tex]dF=\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial u}}\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial x}}dx+\frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial v}}\frac{{\partial v}}{{\partial y}}dy[/tex]

Is this right?
Bye.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks correct. Keep in mind that when you are computing the partial derivatives, you need to use the values of u and v at the point P_0. It should also be noted that you can simplify your work by noting that if u=0 at P_0, then its partial derivatives with respect to x and y will be 0.

Related to Is this Differential Calculus Exercise Correct?

1. Is this Differential right?

This question is quite ambiguous and can have multiple interpretations. It would be helpful to provide more context or specify which differential you are referring to.

2. How do I know if my Differential is correct?

To determine if a differential is correct, you can check it against known equations or use mathematical methods such as differentiation rules and properties. It is also important to double-check your work for any errors or mistakes.

3. What is a Differential in scientific terms?

In science, a differential is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function. It is an important tool in calculus and is used to solve problems involving rates of change.

4. Can a Differential be negative?

Yes, a differential can be negative. This would occur if the function is decreasing at a certain point, resulting in a negative rate of change or slope.

5. What is the difference between a Differential and a Derivative?

A differential is the result of a process called differentiation, which is used to find the rate of change of a function. A derivative, on the other hand, refers to the function itself that represents this rate of change. In other words, a differential is the output of differentiation, while a derivative is the function that gives the output.