Decent Decaf Coffee: Find Your New Year Fave with ROASTe.com

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, the coffee roaster recommended by the person posting recommends a decaf French roast from Stone Creek Coffee.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Happy new year!

I'm ISO decent decaf coffee that I can order over the Internet (or phone), or buy in supermarkets. For me it's relatively uncomplicated to find quality regular coffee -- the Caribou blend is one. As for decaf, I became hooked on a coffee shop brand that I tried years ago, and haven't found anything as good or better -- I just kept ordering it. With the new year I've decided to see whether anyone can suggest a decent decaf brand that they especially like, the darker the better.

[As I posted this, a PF ad in the top margin directed me to ROASTe.com, which I decided to give a try. They ship for free.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Recently I tried Starbucks VIA instant coffee. It was regular (caffeinated), though. I'm not a big fan of instant but this one wasn't bad at all. But then, I like very strong coffee, so it may not appeal to everyone.

Decaf French Roast from http://www.stonecreekcoffee.com/ is pretty good; you can e-mail them at customers@stonecreekcoffee.com and ask for a free catalog.

When in Montreal I had tried Tim Hortons and liked their coffee. So I e-mailed them to ask for home delivery. As it turned out, they have a roaster in Rochester, NY:

Maidstone Coffee Plant, (585) 272-1040 Ext. 2221 or coffee@timhortons.com

I don;t know if they are willing to dispense small quantities (like anything less than 50 lbs. per order). I'll post what I find when I find out, along with their prices.

I own a commercial coffee roastery.
email me your info and I can send you some samples.
I do a nice smooth Decaf Colombian Excelso and spicy Java Jampit Blawan Decaf.

I am here on PF to try to tap into that part of my brain that loved physics in Undergrad and start using it for fine tuning my trade(as a coffee roaster) (Specific Density, heat properties, etc)

I do not have a personal preference for coffee brands, but I can provide some information about decaf coffee for those looking for a new favorite. Decaf coffee is made by removing caffeine from regular coffee beans through various methods, such as using water or chemical solvents. This process can affect the taste and quality of the coffee, so it is important to choose a brand that uses high-quality decaffeination methods.

One way to ensure quality is to look for organic, fair trade, or single-origin decaf coffee. These labels indicate that the coffee has been grown and processed using sustainable and ethical practices. Additionally, darker roasts tend to have a bolder flavor, so it may be worth trying a dark roast decaf if that is your preference.

While I cannot endorse a specific brand, I would suggest doing some research on ROASTe.com and other reputable coffee websites to read reviews and compare different decaf options. It may also be helpful to reach out to the coffee shop where you first tried your favorite decaf and ask about their brand or recommended decaf options.

I hope this helps in your search for a new decaf favorite. Happy new year and happy coffee drinking!

1. What makes a decaf coffee "decent"?

A decent decaf coffee is one that has been decaffeinated using a natural process, such as the Swiss Water process, rather than chemical solvents. It should also have a rich and flavorful taste, without any bitter aftertaste.

2. Is decaf coffee just as healthy as regular coffee?

Decaf coffee does not contain caffeine, which can have negative effects on some people, such as increased heart rate and anxiety. However, decaf coffee still contains antioxidants and other beneficial compounds found in regular coffee, making it a healthier alternative.

3. How do I choose the best decaf coffee for me?

To find your new favorite decaf coffee, consider your preferred roast level, flavor profile, and brewing method. Read reviews and try different brands and varieties to find the one that suits your taste best.

4. Does decaf coffee taste the same as regular coffee?

Decaf coffee may have a slightly different taste than regular coffee, as the decaffeination process can affect the flavor. However, with the advancements in decaf coffee processing methods, the difference in taste is minimal and may not be noticeable to some people.

5. Can I drink decaf coffee if I have a caffeine sensitivity?

Decaf coffee is a great option for those who are sensitive to caffeine, as it contains significantly less caffeine than regular coffee. However, if you have a severe sensitivity, it is best to consult with a doctor before consuming decaf coffee, as it still contains some caffeine.