Isochoric Process with Unknown Ideal Gas

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the final gage pressure by knowing the R value for an ideal gas, and solving for P2. Knowing the final absolute pressure allows for the final gage pressure to be found.
Preston
I was assigned a problem in my Engineering Thermodynamics class as follows:
Problem:
An ideal gas in a rigid closed container undergoes isochoric heating from T1 = 27 C to T2 = 77 C. Initial gage pressure is 300 kPa, pressure of surroundings is 1 atm.
Find the final gage pressure.

The way to go about solving the problem seems straight forward, as I will show my train of thought below. The only thing I am stuck up on is what R value to use for this particular ideal gas, since the gas itself is not specified, nor it's volume, nor it's specific volume, nor it's mass.

Relevant Equations:
Pv = RT

Attempted Solution:

Here's how I attempted it:

Knowns: T1 = 27 C, T2 = 77 C, Pgage1 = 300 kPa, Psurround = 1 atm
Trying to find: Pgage2

For an ideal gas, Pv = RT, where v = specific volume (m3/kg) and R = specific gas constant (J/kgK). If I know what R value to use, I can solve for v:

v = (RT1)/P1 where P1 = Pgage1+Psurround (in Pa)

Then, because volume V is constant, and the unknown arbitrary mass m is constant, so is v
by the relationship

v = V/m

Then I would find P2:

P2 = (RT2)/v

It follows,

Pgage2 = P2 - Psurround (in Pa)

That's all folks. Maybe I am missing something rather obvious here, or taking the wrong approach. Again, the only thing I am stuck on is what the specific gas constant R should be. I can not solve for it with it's definition since R = R/M = nR where R is the universal gas constant (8.314 J/molK), M is molar mass of the gas, and n is moles of the gas. I have consulted Tables in the back of my text, and R is given for monatomic or diatomic ideal gas as is to be expected, but again, I'm not given those specifics in the problem. Any help is appreciated! :)

- Preston

Physics news on Phys.org
Preston said:
Find the final gage pressure.
Preston said:
If I know what R value to use, I can solve for v:
Why?

Why solve for v, or why am I justified in saying that?

v = (RT1)/P1 and everything on right hand side is known (if I know what R to use). Why am solving for v in the first place--

I can use the fact that v is constant through the process (remember, the system is a constant volume closed container) to solve for P2 (absolute, not gage)

P2 = (RT2)/v again, everything on the right is known at this point. Knowing the final absolute pressure allows me to solve for final gage pressure

Pgage2 = P2 - Psurround

The last two equations were in my original post, but I hope this clarifies my thought process for you.

Preston said:
v = (RT1)/P1
Preston said:
P2 = (RT2)/v
Preston said:
(remember, the system is a constant volume closed container)
Think.

True or false: The values of n, R, and V are the same in the initial and final states of the gas.

Chet

Chet, that is true. Bystander, I see what you are getting at now!

In both cases, (Pv)/RT = 1

so (P1v)/(RT1) = P2v/RT2 and R and v will cancel out of each side showing that the following relationship is independent of them:

P1/T1 = P2/T2 and now I can solve. Thats what I get for still being up at 3 am when I woke up 6:30 am. Ha.

Thanks so much!

Related to Isochoric Process with Unknown Ideal Gas

1. What is an isochoric process?

An isochoric process is a thermodynamic process in which the volume of a system remains constant while the pressure and temperature may vary. This means that no work is done on or by the system, and any change in internal energy is solely due to heat exchange.

2. How does an isochoric process differ from other thermodynamic processes?

In an isochoric process, the volume remains constant, while in other thermodynamic processes such as isobaric and isothermal processes, the volume changes. Additionally, in an isochoric process, no work is done, while work may be done in other processes.

3. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature. In an ideal gas, the particles are assumed to have no volume and do not interact with each other, resulting in no intermolecular forces.

4. How can an isochoric process be applied to an unknown ideal gas?

An isochoric process can be applied to an unknown ideal gas by measuring the initial and final temperature and pressure of the gas and using the ideal gas law to calculate the change in internal energy. This can then be used to determine the specific heat capacity of the gas, which can help identify the gas.

5. What are some real-world examples of isochoric processes?

Some real-world examples of isochoric processes include the heating of a gas in a sealed container, the compression of a gas in a rigid tank, and the explosion of a bomb in a confined space. These processes demonstrate how the volume remains constant while the temperature and pressure change.